Hock Kitchen Knife Kits

Bill Satko

I have known about these new knife kits for about a month now. It finally dawned on me that they may be several here that would be interested. You can find them at various places on the web, but the following link is to Tools for Working Wood, because they have a great write-up on them and they are a good company. For those of us on the Left Coast, I am sure that Craftsman Studio will be carrying them soon.

I am thinking of getting the kits myself and giving it a try.

EE-HKK_A_big.jpg

I'd be all over it if they had a 10" chef knife kit. Must be a reason for the 8" only, but....

These kits have been very popular and you are not the only one wanting a longer chef knife. I suspect that they will be offering one in the future. The 8" will more in line with what my wife is interested in. I think I will start with the paring knife first.

I'm just so used to using the 10" knife, I'm not interested in going the 8" route. 10", Heck, I'd be buying these like crazy and giving them as gifts to family.

I'm just so used to using the 10" knife, I'm not interested in going the 8" route. 10", Heck, I'd be buying these like crazy and giving them as gifts to family.

When I was growing up, there was an old wives tail that said something to the effect.... "it's bad luck to give a knife as a gift, the recipient should give the donor a penny in return"...:D:D

Those look very tempting Vaughn! On the 'want' list now!

Chuck, My grandma gave me a knife one time, along with a penny. I'm sure there was some reason for it, I just can't remember what it was. Probably was along those lines though.

That looks like fun!!! Maybe the next evolution of pens; it was ironic that they have pen kits. Thinking a DVD purchase may be in order.

I do have to say though, As much as I'd like to make some scales and put together a knife, I'd just prefer to buy them from Hock, so I'll be patient for a while and see what happens...

My El Cheapo Cooka illustrated Fibrox knives still work fine, so I don't really have a need. Really a serious want, and some knife envy, but the ones I have actually work great and take a pretty good edge and I'm not afraid to let sharon abuse them.

Ha!! I've had the same set of Henkel II's for ever!!! Couple are getting old and did have one snap at the bolster. Just looks like a fun thing to do. Plenty of wood for scales, but a good education from the ground up would be fun. I know a guy at Trader Joe's that makes knives...not kitchen stuff though. Could be a fun skill to learn over all.

The story of the penny -

If you give someone a knife, it is a hint that you want them to hurt (kill) themselves with it. But no hint if they buy a knife from you. Therefore to complete the penny part, the recipient buys the knife from you, perhaps using the penny that happens to come with the knife. (Your gift better be worth more than a penny, but a sale is a sale, enough to counteract the hidden message.)

Despite being from Texas, I was disappointed with the TexasKnife.com BL576C knife blank. It will be extremely difficult to sharpen the end near the handle, since the last part is not beveled, and will interfere with getting the last part of the blade along a sharpening stone or steel. And having just bought a cryo hardened blade, the last thing I want to do is modify it with a grinder.

BL576C_550.jpg