building a folding sawbuck

I think these plans are fairly common, may well have been posted here before but I stumbled on them along with some good pictures. I can't drag the pictures and all over here so I'm going to post a link. Seem to remember the folks running this site are pretty tolerant about such things. The site I'm linking to is the opposite, they aspire to be the only site on the web! Good folks other than that and a few other quirks though. Please zap this thread if I have committed an oops and apologies.

Never really tried to build a folding sawbuck, spent a plenty though and that was something the ex was expert at indeed. No need to fold one with her around, it wasn't gonna last long enough to make it in a wallet anyway! OK, enough ragging on my ex, she is wondering what the heck that sharp stabbing pain in her side is and she is actually a pretty good ol' girl.

Here is the link, and wishing y'all a happy Thanksgiving, it is about fourteen minutes away here.

Hu
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/how-to-build-a-folding-sawbuck.247300/

That looks real handy, Hu. :thumb:

And just so you (and any other newer members) know, we don't mind links to other forums or sites, since we're not here to make a profit. As long as it's something useful to our members, we're all for it. ;)

That looks real handy, Hu. :thumb:

And just so you (and any other newer members) know, we don't mind links to other forums or sites, since we're not here to make a profit. As long as it's something useful to our members, we're all for it. ;)

Vaughn,

You probably already know but there is a new book out with pictures of over a hunnert axes I believe, not the kind for chopping wood.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/ente...ar+Guitars+book+celebrates/9220694/story.html

That's a good looking rig... mine is similar, but doesn't fold and needs to be replaced... I've managed to hack through a couple of the cross members..:(

I tried to copy the plans over to my files to save for future, but the images didn't come over... I'll have to play with it when I have more time. Thanks for the link.

That's a good looking rig... mine is similar, but doesn't fold and needs to be replaced... I've managed to hack through a couple of the cross members..:(

I tried to copy the plans over to my files to save for future, but the images didn't come over... I'll have to play with it when I have more time. Thanks for the link.

Chuck,

I'm pretty sure any sawbuck I build has to be considered semi-sacrificial! I tend to saw like I paint and when I paint pretty much anything in reach gets a coat, planned or not. Looks to me like the cross braces on the side are too high. I plan to back them up with a second set lower down and will almost certainly just screw that top set on.

My round for the hinge will probably be heavy wall PVC too. Easier with the lathe but if the PVC isn't stiff enough I have cored it with wood before. The PVC provides a little better surface and the wood adds strength. Don't know that coring will be needed for this application but it's an option. When I think about it my biggest issue is how I am going to make all those holes in the wood for the pivot, have to do some figuring on that. Of course I've just looked at the pictures so far, a detailed read might explain that.

Hu

I don't use firewood anymore. But that would make a nice display stand for my chain saw. ;) However, looks like a good design. But, methinks if I were to make one it would be from something other than regular 2x4s. I would use maple, ash, hickory or some other durable wood.

...But, methinks if I were to make one it would be from something other than regular 2x4s. I would use maple, ash, hickory or some other durable wood.

In my case, using a sawbuck/stand for cutting turning blanks, there's a good chance the stand will get chewed up by the chainsaw. This is especially true when cutting the log in half lengthwise. To me, it makes sense to use cheap, somewhat expendable wood instead of hardwood. If you're only using it to cut firewood, then a more durable wood would make some sense, although plain ol' Borg lumber would still last for many years.

I made my cutting stand out of plywood several years ago, and it has gotten mightily cut up in use. It's about time to replace it.

In my case, using a sawbuck/stand for cutting turning blanks, there's a good chance the stand will get chewed up by the chainsaw. This is especially true when cutting the log in half lengthwise. To me, it makes sense to use cheap, somewhat expendable wood instead of hardwood. If you're only using it to cut firewood, then a more durable wood would make some sense, although plain ol' Borg lumber would still last for many years.

I made my cutting stand out of plywood several years ago, and it has gotten mightily cut up in use. It's about time to replace it.

My thought about any I build too, close encounters of the pointy and sharp kind are just a given. The main idea for me is to not have anything tougher than my saw chain up high enough to damage it. I'll screw the side supports on but I may glue them and replace the screws with dowels after they serve as clamps.

Hu

Here are a couple of shots that show my sawbuck/cutting stand. You can see it has met the business end of the Stihl more than once. :D

Chewed-Up%20Sawbuck%201%20-%20800.jpg

Chewed-Up%20Sawbuck%202%20-%20800.jpg

Vaughn,

Your old one does look like it is getting about due a coat of sealer at the least!

My old one was just a section of oak log cut to the same height as my pick-up bed with a V cut in the top. Works pretty decent except it needs a tie down just like the new one will. Got the big boy chain on the Makita now and when it takes a bite it takes a pretty serious bite. I'll just use an old strap or rope or something, tie downs are disposable too. You might notice a pattern there, pretty much anything in arm and bar reach are disposable when I have the saw buzzing, that is hopefully not including fingers and toes!

Stihl is real and I'm going to at least put my name in the hat where they are having a drawing for one Christmas day, a fully ported and modded 460. I am making do with the Makita though. Fixing to buy a file guide that will let me square sharpen my RSC chain. If RSC chain sounds a wee bit familiar, yup, came from the local Stihl dealer. No idea how widespread it was or how long it lasted but a few weeks ago my dealer was running a buy one chain full price, get one half price deal. A pair of chains with taxes went out the door for just under forty-five dollars if I remember right, 73 drive link 3/8 chain.

Hu