need a lever cap..// it came with a friend:)

larry merlau

i just got a old 4.5 hand plane that needs a lever cap... its not a stanley. its a Buhl??? so as of right now it is just a user.. the lever cap is 2.25 wide.. if anyone has a lever cap that would work drop me a pm .. thanks

Last edited:
i just got a old 4.5 hand plane that needs a lever cap... its not a stanley. its a Buhl??? .. the lever cap is 2.25 wide.. if anyone has a lever cap that would work drop me a pm .. thanks

I'll take a look but doubt I have a 2.25" one. The Stanleys, etc. were 2-3/8" but you might be able to grind one down slightly to get the width you need. I'll look tomorrow in my spare parts bin.

The old Stanley 5 1/2s were 2 1/4, the newer ones are 2 3/8s wide. Maybe someone has an older 5 1/2. The Keen Kutter K series 5 1/2 is a 2 1/4 also. If push comes to shove I would think that a 2 inch wide one would work in a pinch, maybe not as well but.

Tom

Last edited:
USPS says Larry got his lever cap, so I guess I can post this now. I sent a couple extras in the box - a Stanley #79, and a statue of Larry. :rofl:

DSCN1025.jpg

Side rabbet planes can be very handy. I know, as I just used mine yesterday. Don't use them often, but when I do, they are indispensable.

yeah some folks have way to much time on there hands,, look at how he boxed this stuff:) had to find a screw driver to open it and then to my sha grin i had my very own santa doll.. i got big grin and chuckle that would make ol saint nic proud:) yu got me again jim:) some day you might be on the receiving end:)
b1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpgb4.jpgb5.jpgb6.jpg

yeah some folks have way to much time on there hands,, look at how he boxed this stuff:) had to find a screw driver to open it and then to my sha grin i had my very own santa doll.. i got big grin and chuckle that would make ol saint nic proud:) yu got me again jim:) some day you might be on the receiving end:)
View attachment 79636View attachment 79637View attachment 79638View attachment 79639View attachment 79640View attachment 79641

I liked the "HO-HO-HO" on the door behind you, too. Somehow, it seemed appropriate. :D

Btw, did you like the bow? I actually laminated it walnut/cherry/curly maple, with a guitar 'E' string for a bowstring.

yeah jim,, i did i thought it came with the doll but randi told me it was homemade.. she got just as much of a chuckle out of it as i did:) i looked for the quiver thought mabe i could see if it would really work:)