Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressor..............Again....

Compressor..............Again....

OK, I need a new compressor, this is the next big thing on my list of things to buy.

I have a largish cheap compressor that died a while ago, even thought I put a lot of time and effort into fixing the compressor, the pump part of the unit, it is dead. Now I have a large tank 16 gallon, and the cheap 1 HP motor that came with the compressor. I was wanting to buy a Hitachi Bebicon, they are one of the best compressors made on the planet, IMHO and if I ponied up for a good one of them I'd be done, really done for a very long time, but, they are spendy, like maybe next year I can afford one. But I had an idea, what makes the Hitachi Bebicon so good? The short answer is the actual compressor, the pump, right? This got me thinking (which is always dangerous) if I could buy a good quality compressor pump and put it on my existing tank with existing motor, maybe that would do it? Sure, it will not be a Hitachi Bebicon compressor, but it would be a good quality pump (I don't know if Hitachi sells the pumps as a unit without the tank etc). I was thinking that if I buy one from say Grainer or somewhere and have it shipped over, I might be in business.

Also the task of removing my old compressor and tank from it's perch, as well as disposing of it would be time consuming and costly by itself.

I wonder if there are actual kits that you could buy to just ditch your old dead pump and replace the pump?

Please let me know you thoughts.

Another note, I'm using the heck out of my little jobsite compressor now, at this pace I'm going to kill that poor thing then need to buy another one of those too.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

You might try talking to the folks at Eaton Compressors and see if they ship to Japan. I've been very happy with mine, and they sell good pumps separately.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/pumps.html

IMO these are among the best.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

My concern would be the 1hp motor. That's not a lot for driving a compressor, if you have a sprayer - or plasma cutter - that needs constant air flow. The 16 gallon tank you have isn't all that big, either. I know space is a big problem for you, but something like a small Ingersoll-Rand or Quincy upright compressor might serve you better. I don't know what the Hitachi you've mentioned costs, but the I-R or Quincy won't be cheap, either. Either one should pretty much be the last on you'll ever need, though.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I share Jim's concern about the HP. I would go for a 1.5hp -2hp motor.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Well it was an interesting idea, but I think in the end I'll just end up buying the Hitachi I want.

The one I'll get will be nice and I'll add some bells and whistles like the auto tank water emptier valve thingy.

Hitachi Bebicon 2.2P-9.5VD 5

Specs
    Mass: 109Kg or 240lbs
    Output (kW): 2.2 or 2.95 HP
    Frequency: 50Hz
    tank capacity: 80L or 21 US Gal
    maximum pressure: 0.93MPa or 135 PSI
    Operating system: Pressure switch type
    outlet air: 1/4B (8A) 2
    Dimensions: 1280mm W 365mm D 807mm H or 50.3”L x 14.4” W x 31.8” H
    Power supply voltage: Three-phase 200V
    rotational speed: 730 rpm
    cylinder diameter: 72Φmm
    stroke: 65mm
    Number of cylinders: Two
    air delivery (L / min): 265L/mi or 9.36 CFM

I see it with free shipping on a site I deal with a lot for 160,000 yen ($1600) but I also found it on a site the deals with compressors only for 140,000 yen ($1400) and they are in Tokyo, not far, so maybe I could even go and pick it up, save the shipping cost. I'll have to figure out which is best, the first more expensive place I already have an account and I can use my CC and get points (which the wife loves!) the second cheaper place is most likely going to have troubles selling to me, not the regular thing they do, and I bet is it bank transfer only which costs me $25. Will need to call them and ask, or maybe just go and visit them...?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Compressor..............Again....

Sounds like you have the right idea. Buying a GOOD compressor is expensive, but worth it. I smile every time I use mine.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Sounds like you have the right idea. Buying a GOOD compressor is expensive, but worth it. I smile every time I use mine.
    Yeah, pay just the one time eh?

Do you think that the 9.36 CFM is enough to run most any air tool as well?
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...Do you think that the 9.36 CFM is enough to run most any air tool as well?
    It depends on how you describe "most any air tool". It would be much more than enough for sprayers and impact tools. Sanders may be pushing it. My little 2" Grex ROS eats about 8 cfm under load, and a 5" ROS shown on the Northern Tool website uses 9 cfm. And I don't think it would keep up well with die grinders and sandblasters, especially with the relatively small tanks. For example, the #1 selling die grinder at Northern Tools consumes 18 cfm under load. A quick scan of sandblasters on their website shows a range from 5 to 80 cfm.

What do you anticipate running?

workingwoods.com

It's important to know at what psi that it produces 9.36 cfm. If it's 90 psi than it will produce a lot more cfm at 40 psi. If it's makes 9.36 at 40 psi than you'll probably need an auxiliary or larger tank.

To answer your question 9.36 at 90psi is enough to run up to 4 framing nailers all day long. A bit of overkill if all you are going to run is a brad nailer
    Last edited by Bob Gibson; 12-01-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Faith, Hope & Charity