A night in the new hospital

Roger Tulk

Last night I was in my local pharmacy, and took my blood pressure a couple of times. As it was edging up to 200, my pharmacist suggested I should go to the Emerge (ER to you Americans,) So I did. This facility was opened last year, and cost a lot of taxpayer's money. So far, I think we got out money's worth. I went here previously when I put a chisel through my finger, but that was only an in and out. They admitted me at 9 PM and ran three sets of blood tests, two ECGs, four blood glucose tests and took my blood pressure every 30 minutes until they were sure I wouldn't break down if I went home. The doctor was the same on that attended on me when I had the big heart attack two years ago, and he's a good, competent guy. He told me to monitor my bp for now, and come back if the high bp seems to be a pattern. I have to see my GP soon, too.

The facility is much better than the old, crowded Emerge. You get a 10 x 10 bay and lots of attention. The staff are excellent, friendly and helpful. Also, I was admitted within 20 minutes, and the death panel didn't even bother to look at me. Good Socialized medicine!

We have 6 ER's and at least 20 Urgent Care facilities in Fresno. We the best we can, but when the majority of the population with out insurance uses us for their GP...there is only so much we can do. We won't go into budget cuts...

death panel what the heck is that ??

Mods might zap this......so read quick.
In the Obamacare law there are several provisions that require approval by a department of clerks before certain treatments can be given. e.g. people over age 76 cannot get treatment for cancer. Lovely ain't it?

Glad they gave you the OK Roger. Many of us have reached that age where our diet consists of cutting out anything that tastes good and what we think of as "plenty of exercise" ain't even close.

One of my favorite cartoons is a single panel drawing of a guy sitting on the exam table in the doctor's office, the doctor is frowning while looking over his chart . . . the doctor is saying "Still no improvement. Are you sure you've given up everything you enjoy?".