Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gettin old sucks

Gettin old sucks

So I've not done any woodworking for several months. This being a long weekend I planned on getting some shop time. I fired up the heater Thursday night. By Friday morning it was getting nice and warm so I was able to do some cleaning up so I could start a new project. I have some pens I've been wanting to turn so I got the mini lathe set up and blanks cut and tubes glued in. I wanted to wait and let the glue set up before I start turning so I decided to get out and rake and blow the last of the leaves to the curb. to make a long story short, I over did it and the muscle in my right arm is so sore I cant hardly move it. So much for shop time. As I'm getting older my body just doesn't respond like it used to. My mind tells me to stay busy but my body doesn't want to cooperate. Hate this. Hopefully It will be a little better tomorrow so I can still get the pens turned.
    Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Tom
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

And, you are how old? BTW, I never get sore arms from raking. That is because I do not rake leaves. They just stay and in the spring I mow right over them. Enneyhow, have a nice T'day weekend.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Tom Getting old my suck but it sure beats the alternative....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I worked on leaves today, 2.5 acres worth. When one arm got tired I just steered the mower the other way.

Dont worry I'll be on a IV of ibuprofen tomorrow, know how you feel.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Drove various vehicles over 1k miles the last four days. Plus getting rigs ready to roll. Share the ibuprofen, please. IV form sounds great at this point. Also picked up a cold. Yick.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Getting old = no option. Thinking old = choice! I choose thinking young...now getting the rest of the bod to agree is something else!!!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

tom as bill, and frank said you need to think young because it doesnt get better.. and you got a long ways to go to catch up with frank
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    ...My mind tells me to stay busy but my body doesn't want to cooperate...
    I've trained my mind to stay out of my business and just let me be a sloth if I want to be. I'm preserving myself for when I get older.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Leaves have always been an issue since we bought this home. With 6 trees that are each 40+years old that makes for a lot of leaves. They get so deep in the yard that if I leave them the grass under them will die. The city comes by and picks them up but I have to get them to the curb.
    I try not to let my age tell me what I can and cannot do which is how I get in trouble. I try to do things like I always have only later to have my body parts fail. Ice packs all day today have helped. I'll live.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Tom leaves are no big deal to a county boy. Like Frank we just let Mother nature do her thing. Now Putting up 22 sg of shingles, by my self. Bent over for the last 2 days with no help what's so ever, That has got my back giving me fits. Yep getting old stinks. Heck I remember when I could do that in a day and feel like I hadn't done a thing.
    Last edited by Stephen Bellinger; 12-01-2013 at 09:35 AM.