Gettin old sucks

Tom Baugues

So I've not done any woodworking for several months. This being a long weekend I planned on getting some shop time. I fired up the heater Thursday night. By Friday morning it was getting nice and warm so I was able to do some cleaning up so I could start a new project. I have some pens I've been wanting to turn so I got the mini lathe set up and blanks cut and tubes glued in. I wanted to wait and let the glue set up before I start turning so I decided to get out and rake and blow the last of the leaves to the curb. to make a long story short, I over did it and the muscle in my right arm is so sore I cant hardly move it. So much for shop time. As I'm getting older my body just doesn't respond like it used to. My mind tells me to stay busy but my body doesn't want to cooperate. Hate this. Hopefully It will be a little better tomorrow so I can still get the pens turned.
Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Tom

And, you are how old? BTW, I never get sore arms from raking. That is because I do not rake leaves. :D They just stay and in the spring I mow right over them. Enneyhow, have a nice T'day weekend.

I worked on leaves today, 2.5 acres worth. When one arm got tired I just steered the mower the other way. :D

Dont worry I'll be on a IV of ibuprofen tomorrow, know how you feel.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Drove various vehicles over 1k miles the last four days. Plus getting rigs ready to roll. Share the ibuprofen, please. IV form sounds great at this point. Also picked up a cold. Yick.

Leaves have always been an issue since we bought this home. With 6 trees that are each 40+years old that makes for a lot of leaves. They get so deep in the yard that if I leave them the grass under them will die. The city comes by and picks them up but I have to get them to the curb.
I try not to let my age tell me what I can and cannot do which is how I get in trouble. I try to do things like I always have only later to have my body parts fail. Ice packs all day today have helped. I'll live.

Tom leaves are no big deal to a county boy. Like Frank we just let Mother nature do her thing.:) Now Putting up 22 sg of shingles, by my self. Bent over for the last 2 days with no help what's so ever, That has got my back giving me fits. Yep getting old stinks.:) Heck I remember when I could do that in a day and feel like I hadn't done a thing.:eek:

Last edited:
Whenever I start feeling like that, I start singing this song lololol

Old Folks Boogie
-- Paul Barrere, G. P. Barrere

Off our rockers, actin' crazy
With the right medication we won't be lazy
Doin' the old folks boogie
Down on the farm
Wheelchairs, they was locked arm in arm
Paired off pacemakers with matchin' alarms
Gives us jus' one more chance
To spin one more yarn

And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
Doin' the old folks boogie
And boogie we will
'Cause to us the thought's as good as a thrill

Back at the home,
No time is your own,
Facillities there, they're all out on loan
The bank forclose, and your bankruptcy shows
And your credit creeps to an all-time low
So you know, that you're over the hill

Try and get a rise from an atrophied muscle,
And the nerves in your thigh just quivers and fizzles
So you know, that you're over the hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmC_OhP7V2w

Getting old = no option. Thinking old = choice! I choose thinking young...now getting the rest of the bod to agree is something else!!!!!

I'm with Bill on this one. When I start to lose an argument with my body, I re-double my efforts. I exercise 'fairly regularly'. The reason I don't say 'regularly' is because it seems I have to re-commit on a regular basis :eek:. I am always amazed that it takes a fraction of the time to fall out of a good habit as compared to the time it takes to get into it. I attribute my energy level and flexibility to the absence of television from my home for the last 20 years. Most TV shows are like cigarettes, you sacrifice a day of your life for every one you consume :D. That couch or recliner may look soft and inviting but, believe me, it has a tenacious death grip.

I'm with you on this one. We have about 60 trees and the open desert comes with occasional high winds and no neighbors...so we just let them fly. Besides, all they can do is potentially turn our alkaline soil into something better :)
:thumb::thumb: I wish I had,had trees when I lived in the desert. All we had was jack rabbits, rattlesnakes, and coyotes.:rofl: Just out side of Alamogordo NM.

IN our area there are plenty of hard working fellows who originate south of the border who beg to rake up the leaves and pine straw for you at a very reasonable cost. I even had one guy offer to do it for free if I gave him the pine straw. I have much more pine straw than leaves. He was in the landscaping business and had to pay for pine straw to use as mulch. So now he gets the pine straw and rakes the leaves. That was an offer I could not refuse.

A few years ago I bought a 42" drag rake with 8" tines which makes it much easier to rake the yard. The only drawback is to remember to drag the rake and not use it as a rake as it will wear you out. It looks great hanging in my garden shed unused.

All I have to say about getting older is that everything my grandmothers said about it is coming true and that is not a pretty sight. I have been afflicted with a number of ailments that suddenly developed and I have nothing but cuss words to say about them. I am going to the gym 6 days a week to beat them back but I just cannot lift weights like I used to and the rowing machine and stair climber are both kicking my keister. But I will continue the fight as long as I can because as I was once told when I complained about the weather that the day would come when I was under the ground and the weather would be of no consequence. So now I savor every change in the weather and grumble under my breath while thanking God for each day I have.

After expending gobs more physical exertion this past week than normal, I am aware of the aging factor! Even though everything is on wheels, there is stilled a modicum amount of lifting and toting, wrestling with hitches, weight distribution bars and sway controllers. Then there is the sitting behind the wheel for hours, nursing 60+ foot lengths of vehicles down the road. This time all the wheels stayed on though! Also not for the faint of heart. Today was a meltdown day for sure. Every muscle and every joint is still complaining. The scary part is that I look forward to the day when things will improve knowing full well that they are destined to further decline. I am appalled at the ordinary things I can no longer do. And wonder how to plan for days ahead.

I am appalled at the ordinary things I can no longer do. And wonder how to plan for days ahead.

And yet, you remain, an inspiration for the rest of us, and a personal reminder to me of what is possible, if you truly want it.

If there's a will, there's a way. Carol, you are the living embodiment of that all too commonly used phrase.