Milled up some more wood :)

Tom Niemi

Staff member
earlier this year some straight winds went thru my sons area and knocked over trees and I was able to score some of the downfall and mill into some lumber. So with some great help from Larry, my son and his FIL, we got our sawyer Chris and milled up 820bf of various woods, Knotty pine, Maple, Oak, Cherry and YES Walnut:)Cuttin' 1.jpgCuttin' 2 Knotty Pine.jpgCuttin' 3 Jimmy and his tractor.jpgCuttin' 4 Old groth knotty pine.jpgCuttin' 5 Walnut.jpgCuttin' 6 final stack.jpg

What a nice haul there Tom. What diameter was that Walnut log approx, and what length. Could you tell me how many BF of lumber you got from it? Just a fascination to know nothing important. Oh and the Ambassador looks great in blue. :) Only ever seen him in lumberjack shirt.
So where is it getting stacked and stickered and I thought this was supposed to happen at the same time? Who decides ow the log is to be cut? sawyer or you? Did you hit any metal at all?

Nice haul Tom.

I've done that 3 times, the last about 9 years ago now. And that will probably be the last time. I learned from each "adventure" as that is what each one was. On the last go round I had the sawyer cut full 4/4, I.E. his cut was at 1&1/8" to give a full 1" board. I also had him cut some 8/4 from each tree. I haven't needed any of the 8/4 stock yet but it is there and if I need to I can always resaw.

Now, in a couple of years you'll have some nice wood to use.

What a nice haul there Tom. What diameter was that Walnut log approx, and what length. Could you tell me how many BF of lumber you got from it? Just a fascination to know nothing important. Oh and the Ambassador looks great in blue. :) Only ever seen him in lumberjack shirt.
So where is it getting stacked and stickered and I thought this was supposed to happen at the same time? Who decides ow the log is to be cut? sawyer or you? Did you hit any metal at all?

Rob, the walnut was 20" in diameter and 17 feet long, I had it split in half. I believe it yielded about 180 bf, will check my notes on that when I get home. Could have been around 210 bf from the log but as you can see it had a bit of sap wood that I did not keep. It will get stickered tonight or tomorrow night and put in my 16 x 24 shed leaving some room for my lawn equipment. The log is cut per my specifications running them thru Larry and the sawyer to make sure I am correct and metal? yep the walnut had around 8 small nails we did not see, most were found when squaring it up on a warn blade, 3 found with a new blade, he charges his resharpening fee for nails but since the first was done anyway he only charged for one which is a very fair $15.00:)

Looks like it was a good workout for all. Jim needs a little bigger tractor me thinks! That reminds me I need to talk to Larry about some walnut. Oh, since no one mentioned it yet, did Larry or Charlie "visit" the end of that walnut log before the picture?:rolleyes::doh::eek::rofl::thumb:

Now i know why Tom still has the wood had you seen those logs they would have been taken away. Lock it all up Tom there be pirates looking at this thread. Even though we can see both eyes you never know what the pirate is up to.

Just waiting for the next 2 walnuts to be taken down. One is around 48" and roughly 12' and has been struck by lightning kinda hoping for some blue wood in that. And the other one is about 28" and a good 14-16'. when i take those down (which will be before my Wife and I move) we will have Chris come over with the saw and mill them up. And Jon my wife said that my tractor is too small and I need a bigger one with a bucket. I just love her she speaks my language!

Just think, Allen. You'll be in the neighborhood. And you're driving the little car.

Did you get a lumber rack for it?

Just stirring the pot a little. :D

Maybe the truck for some turning blanks. Can never have too many of them. And they don't fit on a lumber rack very well. Just sayin...