Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Is it just me or does anyone else have difficulty in deciphering the words required to be typed into code verification on some web pages. The example below is from the Popular Woodworking 31 Days of Christmas Sweepstakes, but I face this more and more on web pages. The example below is actually not that difficult, but most are almost impossible to understand what to type. I usually have to cycle through 3 to 4 new words before I find one I can understand enough to duplicate. I even have problems with the sound versions. Both leave me feeling like the idiot I must be. I am thinking it is the internet version of the child proof containers that always cause me so much trouble.

“When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I never realized how hard is was to decipher this crap until I did the popular woodworking entry.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Nope, this is 'captcha'. They are notoriously difficult to work with.

Usually I just keep pressing the button to give me a new one until I get one that is somewhat recognizable.

If I remember correctly, they take scans of words from books, all different languages and use those. Nasty stuff.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

i do the same thing bill, just scan threw them to get a good one..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i do the same thing bill, just scan threw them to get a good one..
    Yeah, me too. Sometimes I have to ask for new words half a dozen times before I get one I can decipher. Quite a pain, eh?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Yesterday, after 5 tries, different words each try, I clicked on the "read words to me" It was even worse. Three tries on that an didn't understand one letter "read" to me, so I went back and tried typing them in. Got it after 3 more tries. The ones on that website are the most difficult I have worked with.
    "We the People ......"

You are not alone my friend. I too am in your club. Makes you wonder if anyone ever thinks of these things.
    cheers

I personally love those! It's like a puzzle to solve. Ok, I'm kidding, but as an admin I can understand the use of them. Before we implemented it on our site for the registration, we'd get at least a 100 spam accounts for every valid one. I think a site has to weigh out if it's worth causing your user base the pain it inflicts.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I personally love those! It's like a puzzle to solve. Ok, I'm kidding, but as an admin I can understand the use of them. Before we implemented it on our site for the registration, we'd get at least a 100 spam accounts for every valid one. I think a site has to weigh out if it's worth causing your user base the pain it inflicts.
    I can understand the need Darren, but am surprised on how difficult they need to be. If it has to be so obtuse because scammer's OCR software has evolved, then soon the only ones able to discern what is there will be OCR software! If that is where technology is heading, then soon we will have to telephone in to confirm that we are human and not spam software trying to establish an account. Even that exchange could be duplicated by a computer.

Q "What is your name?"

A "HAL."

Q "Is that your first name or last?"

A "I am sorry Dave, I can't tell you that"
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Well, I got it on the first try today! No need for anyone else to enter, I positive this one is mine! I do find that on some sites they are much easier do decipher than on this contest site. I think they are just messing with out minds.
    "We the People ......"