Is it just me?

Bill Satko

Is it just me or does anyone else have difficulty in deciphering the words required to be typed into code verification on some web pages. The example below is from the Popular Woodworking 31 Days of Christmas Sweepstakes, but I face this more and more on web pages. The example below is actually not that difficult, but most are almost impossible to understand what to type. I usually have to cycle through 3 to 4 new words before I find one I can understand enough to duplicate. I even have problems with the sound versions. Both leave me feeling like the idiot I must be. I am thinking it is the internet version of the child proof containers that always cause me so much trouble.

Nope, this is 'captcha'. They are notoriously difficult to work with.

Usually I just keep pressing the button to give me a new one until I get one that is somewhat recognizable.

If I remember correctly, they take scans of words from books, all different languages and use those. Nasty stuff.

Yesterday, after 5 tries, different words each try, I clicked on the "read words to me" It was even worse. Three tries on that an didn't understand one letter "read" to me, so I went back and tried typing them in. Got it after 3 more tries. The ones on that website are the most difficult I have worked with.

I personally love those! It's like a puzzle to solve. Ok, I'm kidding, but as an admin I can understand the use of them. Before we implemented it on our site for the registration, we'd get at least a 100 spam accounts for every valid one. I think a site has to weigh out if it's worth causing your user base the pain it inflicts.

I personally love those! It's like a puzzle to solve. Ok, I'm kidding, but as an admin I can understand the use of them. Before we implemented it on our site for the registration, we'd get at least a 100 spam accounts for every valid one. I think a site has to weigh out if it's worth causing your user base the pain it inflicts.

I can understand the need Darren, but am surprised on how difficult they need to be. If it has to be so obtuse because scammer's OCR software has evolved, then soon the only ones able to discern what is there will be OCR software! If that is where technology is heading, then soon we will have to telephone in to confirm that we are human and not spam software trying to establish an account. Even that exchange could be duplicated by a computer.

Q "What is your name?"

A "HAL."

Q "Is that your first name or last?"

A "I am sorry Dave, I can't tell you that"

Well, I got it on the first try today! No need for anyone else to enter, I positive this one is mine! I do find that on some sites they are much easier do decipher than on this contest site. I think they are just messing with out minds. :huh:

I dunno. A challenge is good for visual perception. :bonkers: The biggest issue I have with them is case - upper or lower - as in "V" or "v" when the letters are like a mountain range!

I agree that the ones they've been using are harder than any others I've seen. I usually don't have to click "Get new words" on most sites, but I'm definitely having to do it for this contest.

I decided to check and see if the CAPTCHA screens for new registrants here at FW are also getting harder...looks like the answer is yes:

captcha%20sample.jpg