Thread: removing bug stains in maple

removing bug stains in maple

I am building a guitar and the body blank I am using has some streaking from something in it( bugs or maple sap taps). I was't too worried early on because they are not on the front face or back face, but are on the end grain. The front of the guitar is going to be a vintage style sunburst and the back and sides I was going to stain solid, probably black. Well it turns out there there is some fairly decent curly figure thats showing up on the sides so I would like to go with a lighter black or maybe even a different color. Is there a way to remove staining from wood? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	79642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	79643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	79644

Esioloc"?" acid.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

dave here is some info on the subject,,, LINK
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry I use the 2 part when I am going to do the entire piece. It will make a big difference in the wood just doing spots.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

I used Oxalic acid on a wood floor I was refinishing once that had some fairly heavy pet urine stains. It didn't completely remove the stains, but when we stained the floor they were barely noticeable. I mixed it with hot water do dissolve the crystals.

would I have to apply that to just the stain or do the whole thing so that the colors even? also where would one find this oxalic acid?

I got it at the local hardware store. I'll defer about applying to the whole surface to Dave. He knows more about finishing in his little pinky toe than I'll ever know.

You can do just the stain to work it out. You may want to do it twice. Always test before using on actual surface to learn what your working with.

I tried the oxalic acid and it didn't seem to do anything. The surrounding wood became slightly lighter but the stain didn't really change. I also noticed that dye doesn't seem to take well where the stain streak is, its almost like the pores of the wood are sealed. There were maple sap taps in this tree as well as a nail or two, could it be that the iron sealed some of the pores when the tree was still alive? Maybe I'll have to find something stronger.

The try the 2 part wood bleach. Use a small brush to apply to the area. If that doesn't work. Cut a patch out with the grain. Out line the patch. Cut away the stain and inlay the patch. I'll use a wax color stick to edge fill the cracks or puddy and then color.