Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plunge Laminate Trimmer?

Plunge Laminate Trimmer?

While working on my steering wheel project I've been using my P-C laminate trimmer. It's got plenty of power to run the 1/4" spiral bit and it is lightweight. Seems almost perfect for the application. I guess I've never used it as it was intended.

Anyway, I was thinking that a plunge base would be ideal for something like this. Is anyone aware of a laminate trimmer with a plunge base? Do they exist? If so, does anyone have any experience with them?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Dave,
    I thought (and confirmed) that Bosch has a plunge base for their trimmer, and also Freud makes one as well. I've yet to make a single cut with my trimmer at all, so I'm solely talking from a quick Google search.
    -Ned

Thanks for that Ned. I looked at both Bosch and Freud and didn't find a plunge base for the trimmers. Do you suppose you could post a link for me?

Dave,

You might want to sit down first.....

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26932

Greg, I clicked on the link before I read your warning. I bit my tongue when I fainted and banged my chin on the desk.

Thanks for that link. I guess I can live without it.

Dave,

Micro Fence makes really great router accessories but seems to be the Festool of that sort. You might check with Bruce Page, I seem to recall he made a plunge base for a lam trimmer.

Cecil beat me to it...Bruce Page made one based on the Micro Fence model, but he even pimped it out a little more. (In doing so, he also demonstrated that he really knows his way around a machine shop.) If he sees this, maybe he'll post pics if it just so we can drool for a while.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

after market plunge base

not from bosch, sorry
    -Ned

Plunge base

If you buy Craftsman's rotary tool set you get a plunge base with it.
    George Blevins
    Astriapo@earthlink.net

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Cecil beat me to it...Bruce Page made one based on the Micro Fence model, but he even pimped it out a little more. (In doing so, he also demonstrated that he really knows his way around a machine shop.) If he sees this, maybe he'll post pics if it just so we can drool for a while.
    Sure! I’m always willing to happy gloat.

Text from my original post over at SMC last year.

January 11 2006,
    "Recently, I had the urge to scatter stainless steel, brass and aluminum chips all over the shop. I was impressed with the new MicroFence® Plunge Base (www.microfence.com) that they have designed for various trim routers. As luck would have it, Santa brought me the new Bosch variable speed Colt to play with.

My base is pretty much a clone of the MF with a few changes/improvements. This project even included some woodworking; note the two maple burl knobs. (I think they turned out ok, for not being a wood turner ). The knobs are finished with John Miliunas’s witches brew (equal parts of BLO, wipe-on poly, & naphtha) thanks John!

To make the micrometer threads, I threaded the 304 SS bar stock to class 3A specs (read tight) and borrowed a 3B tap from work to tap the brass block with. The micrometer style adjustment system is surprisingly accurate with less than .001 deviations per full length of travel. Machining the micrometer barrel was a bit tedious with each graduation line having to be accurately indexed 7°, 12 min, 0 sec., using my 14” rotary table. (Pic#5)

The turret rotates on a small thrust bearing and there is a ball plunger installed in the base that indexes each post by 120°.

I had some ¼” Lexan sheet so I made three bases to cover all contingencies.

Travel is a little over 2¾”. The compression springs from HD are a little stouter than I wanted but I discovered that unless you’re willing to buy 100 or more from a spring company, your choices are limited. I’ll keep looking…

All in all, I have about $40 in it including the two trick LED lights from MicroFence."
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response