Plunge Laminate Trimmer?

Dave Richards

While working on my steering wheel project I've been using my P-C laminate trimmer. It's got plenty of power to run the 1/4" spiral bit and it is lightweight. Seems almost perfect for the application. I guess I've never used it as it was intended.

Anyway, I was thinking that a plunge base would be ideal for something like this. Is anyone aware of a laminate trimmer with a plunge base? Do they exist? If so, does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for that Ned. I looked at both Bosch and Freud and didn't find a plunge base for the trimmers. Do you suppose you could post a link for me?

Greg, I clicked on the link before I read your warning. I bit my tongue when I fainted and banged my chin on the desk. :eek: :rofl:

Thanks for that link. I guess I can live without it. :D

Dave,

Micro Fence makes really great router accessories but seems to be the Festool of that sort. You might check with Bruce Page, I seem to recall he made a plunge base for a lam trimmer.

Cecil beat me to it...Bruce Page made one based on the Micro Fence model, but he even pimped it out a little more. (In doing so, he also demonstrated that he really knows his way around a machine shop.) If he sees this, maybe he'll post pics if it just so we can drool for a while. :)

Cecil beat me to it...Bruce Page made one based on the Micro Fence model, but he even pimped it out a little more. (In doing so, he also demonstrated that he really knows his way around a machine shop.) If he sees this, maybe he'll post pics if it just so we can drool for a while. :)

Sure! I’m always willing to happy gloat. :rofl:

Text from my original post over at SMC last year.

January 11 2006,
"Recently, I had the urge to scatter stainless steel, brass and aluminum chips all over the shop. I was impressed with the new MicroFence® Plunge Base (www.microfence.com) that they have designed for various trim routers. As luck would have it, Santa brought me the new Bosch variable speed Colt to play with.

My base is pretty much a clone of the MF with a few changes/improvements. This project even included some woodworking; note the two maple burl knobs. (I think they turned out ok, for not being a wood turner ). The knobs are finished with John Miliunas’s witches brew (equal parts of BLO, wipe-on poly, & naphtha) thanks John!

To make the micrometer threads, I threaded the 304 SS bar stock to class 3A specs (read tight) and borrowed a 3B tap from work to tap the brass block with. The micrometer style adjustment system is surprisingly accurate with less than .001 deviations per full length of travel. Machining the micrometer barrel was a bit tedious with each graduation line having to be accurately indexed 7°, 12 min, 0 sec., using my 14” rotary table. (Pic#5)

The turret rotates on a small thrust bearing and there is a ball plunger installed in the base that indexes each post by 120°.

I had some ¼” Lexan sheet so I made three bases to cover all contingencies.

Travel is a little over 2¾”. The compression springs from HD are a little stouter than I wanted but I discovered that unless you’re willing to buy 100 or more from a spring company, your choices are limited. I’ll keep looking…

All in all, I have about $40 in it including the two trick LED lights from MicroFence."

Attachments

• A1-piece-parts.jpg
    A1-piece-parts.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 15
  • A2-pb.jpg
    A2-pb.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 18
  • A3-Closeup-barrel.jpg
    A3-Closeup-barrel.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 13
  • A4-Turret.jpg
    A4-Turret.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 12
  • A5-Mic-Barrel machining.jpg
    A5-Mic-Barrel machining.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 22
  • A6-Top.jpg
    A6-Top.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 10
  • A7-Full.jpg
    A7-Full.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 19
  • A8-Spindel-Lock.jpg
    A8-Spindel-Lock.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Closeup barrel.jpg
    Closeup barrel.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I remember that one you made, Bruce. I think there are still drool stains on my keyboard from when I looked at the pictures the first time. :D

I don't suppose I could pay you $40 to make one for me, though, and the $400 microfence unit is a bit too steep for me. After I get the steering wheel and rudder box finished I'll have to see if I can work something out as an alternative.

I'm thinking that I need to incorporate a provision for a micro adjustable trammel base, too.

I've also got an idea about making the jig differently so that I could do this on the WoodRat. :D

Actually, I think Trend may make what you're looking for. It's a variable speed, small, plunge router, with a quarter inch collet. The router body is removeable for use as a hand-held grinder.

The kit, with dust collection (shop vac) adapter is about $80 at Woodcraft.

I've had mine for several months, and have found it very useful for small jobs. I find I'm using it more than my Bosch trim router lately.