Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: small project-end table from scraps

small project-end table from scraps

Ive been down with a lousy head cold, so I haven't been doing much the past few weeks.
    We had a lot of company thanksgiving week, but each morning I snuck out into the garage for an hour or so and worked on bandsaw reindeer and an end table to put a small lamp on.
    Then I had to get yelled at by my wife and cousin for going into the damp cold garage while I was sick, but my wifes cousin was enough for me to risk going out and getting sicker, I needed a break from her. I needed it everyday. Im thinking of having her visit Brent, figuring hed get that table together during her visit.

although nothing exciting about an end table, I decided to use all my shorts and strips that I have no other use for other than a cutting board or into the fire pit.
    gave me something to think about.
    I had some chunks of walnut, originally purchased by a contractor to cut up for flooring, but the 2 pieces I had were totally ratty, knots, chewed up, voids, but I cut them up and shaped them into legs. (they were only 20 inches so I had to make the legs 19 and 1/4 inch long)
    I filled in some voids with epoxy, some I left open since I didn't think it would effect the integrity of the piece.(only holding a lamp)
    I would have loved to make the entire piece out of walnut, but I don't have any real walnut scraps or leftovers.
    I had some small pieces, under 12 inches, so I glued them all up for aprons.
    Then I had some strips, glued them all up into a cutting board.
    When I finished recutting the cutting board top, I realized I didn't have enough because I didn't take into account the kerf of the blade for recutting, so I had to add a small piece of sapele onto each side so I could make close to an 18 inch circle for the top. I was short all around, so it ended up 17 and 1/2 approx.

still need to put a few more coats of oil than then poly the top, but that's going to take many days of drying.

you can see the punky wood I used, Ill call it distressed. (the top is not attached yet, just put on for pic)

Nice project, that and the bandsaw reindeer kept me busy while I fought the head cold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1632.jpg   100_1630.jpg   100_1633.jpg   100_1635.jpg   100_1629.jpg  

Last edited by allen levine; 12-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

Love the table. That's quite a herd of reindeer you have there. I may have to try my hand at them this year. What size of blade did you use in the bandsaw?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

1/4 inch, there were6 more, they were taken.(I had all that junk ribboned sapele, it cut real nice, so Ill be making a lot of bandsaw reindeer out of it next year)
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-05-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

So do you tape the side cut-offs back on? I was thinking I would just tack them with the air nailer through the part that gets cut off.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Cool little table, Allen. I also like the reindeer as well.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very nice table Allen.

Nice job Allen.
    Can't beat when some scraps turn into a table....

nice table allen,, great use of some left overs
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Cool idea Allen! That really came out nice.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Then I had to get yelled at by my wife and cousin for going into the damp cold garage while I was sick, but my wifes cousin was enough for me to risk going out and getting sicker, I needed a break from her. I needed it everyday. Im thinking of having her visit Brent, figuring hed get that table together during her visit.
    Send her my way, I have a project I need to get done.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde