Finished "decal" pens

Tom Baugues

Well, I finished these up tonight. They are not perfect by any means but I certainly learned plenty along the process. These are the first pens that I have tried to apply a "decal" to. The decals are made using the Testors brand water slide decal sheets. http://www.testors.com/product/0/9201/_/Decal_Paper_-_Clear These are just like the kind you used as a kid (maybe you still do) when building a plastic model. Only this is just the "paper" and you can print any thing on it using any home inkjet or laser printer. After printing you spray some bonder to the printed decal and let it set overnight. The next day you simply cut out the decal, soak it in water for about 15 seconds and then carefully slide the decal off the paper backing and onto your project. I like that you can make ANY kind of decal you can design. Any shape, color or size. You can also buy the paper in full 8.5 x 11 sheets.

Anyway, this summer I bought a motorcycle and I wanted to make a pen to give to a friend who helped me out with a part that I was looking for. We both ride Honda bikes but different models so I made one of each.

I really need to build myself a decent photo tent to photograph pens in but never have so these are just quick snaps with a compact camera.

My CA issues seemed to sand right away without much problem and the final result as far as finish goes looks ok for my first time. The edges of the decals can still be seen if you look real close but I know I can improve on that in the future.
Oh well....practice...practice...practice.

Oh, wood is "holly" wood. I had gotten this wood in a blank exchange (maybe from someone here) but didn't know how I was ever going to use it because it is pretty plain but now I have found a good use for it and it turns really nice and smooth. I like it!
100_1301 (Small).JPG

Decals can have many different uses. For instance, the last box swap we did here on this forum I received a box from Ken Cook. He did a real nice decal on the lid of the box he sent me.
100_1120 (Small).jpg

I have done that as well in the past. Decals can be made to replace labels for restoring old machinery too.
The possibilities is endless.

Nice job Tom! I've got some of that decal paper around here somewhere.

I used to to print up some logos for a couple of ukes I made.

They seem to work much better in black and white than color.

Very nice! I, too, have some of that decal paper sitting around... Got it to do just this and never got around to it. You've inspired me to get off my butt and dig it out and try it, thanks!

--dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, now that you are completed with the decal, have you ever tried to transfer to a pen?? Last year I started with students, you have to have an ink jet printer, do a mirror image print, and with a woodburner with a wide tip you can transfer the ink onto the pen barrel from the printed page. That will eliminate your problem with seeing the edge of the transfer paper. Just another tool for your arsenal Tom.

Okay, now that you are completed with the decal, have you ever tried to transfer to a pen?? Last year I started with students, you have to have an ink jet printer, do a mirror image print, and with a woodburner with a wide tip you can transfer the ink onto the pen barrel from the printed page. That will eliminate your problem with seeing the edge of the transfer paper. Just another tool for your arsenal Tom.

Several years ago when I was into doing scroll work I remember reading about how you could print out your pattern and then lay it out on your wood and use a household iron to transfer your pattern to the wood. I never tried it but I heard it works.
Jonathon, I may give it a try real soon. For some reason I'm really into the pen making groove right now. I started two more pens tonight.

Thanks for the tip!

I've never done it, but I thought it had to be a laser print (ink jet ink is in the paper vs toner which is heat fused onto the paper).

I very well could have that backwards. The students and I played with it enough to get good at transferring images onto wood and it didn't go past that. Someone more knowledgeable than me has to weigh in on this. Sorry if I gave the wrong information.

I very well could have that backwards. The students and I played with it enough to get good at transferring images onto wood and it didn't go past that. Someone more knowledgeable than me has to weigh in on this. Sorry if I gave the wrong information.

I'd like to have the answer to this. I have been "signing" my ukes with a decal, but this transfer might look better.