Walters Goblet

Nate Davey

A very good friend of mine has had a rough patch the last couple years with his health. His priest has been instrumental with helping him through. He asked me to make a chalice with a celtic cross, celebrating his heritage, for him to give the priest for Christmas. Doing a little web research shows that chalices are kind of ugly and don't particularly conform to the Golden Mean. This is what I came up with, a little bit squat. I thought the 3 rings would symbolize the Holy Trinity. Curly maple with WOP; ~9"x3". Thanks for looking.

Walters Goblet.jpgWalters Goblet 1.jpgWalters Goblet Bottom.jpg

Yessir!! Haven't tried the ring thing yet, but you sure nailed the whole idea Nate!! How'd you do the cross? Very impressive and the detail that no one ever sees is an especially nice touch!! Captive ring tool?

That came out looking great, Nate. :thumb: The form looks just right for a chalice to me. The rings (and their symbolism) are a great addition, too. :clap:

It's beautiful, and looks perfectly suited for the task at hand.

To steal a quote from Indiana Jones, 'You chose wisely'!

Thank you all for your very generous comments

Larry- I don't know about you flat work guys, but for turners our wood grows on trees, just go grab some :D

gud un nate yu ben arund that blonde guy tu much:)

Nah, I'm pretty certain Nate was a smartass long before he met me, lol. :D But that probably does explain why we get along so well. ;) If you even get out to NM for a Family gathering, you'll see he fits right in with the rest of the motley crew around here.