A Shed

Stuart Ablett

A really quick one here.

I'm doing a lot of work for Play Ground of Hope right now, we have a big build coming up this week at an orphanage.

We will be building a playground and doing a bunch of other things to fix the place up, a lot of painting etc but I just got the go ahead for building them a new shed. This shed is used to keep the garbage for the orphanage in until the garbage truck comes once a week.

Here is what they have now.....

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_6756.JPG

The main purpose of this shed is to keep the garbage safe from wild critters. What they have does that but it is an eyesore, and falling apart.

My idea is to build a very basic shed, a floor that will stand on concrete blocks as the exiting shed does, and then just four walls and a sloped roof. Snow load is NOT a problem here, they seldom get snow, they are very close to the ocean. the roof and the walls will be covered with corrugated plastic.

The walls will be PT 2x4s and so will the floor and roof, the floor will have thick plywood.

The walls and the roof will have purlins to hold the corrugated plastic.

I'm not sure the rear covered area will be included in the new shed.

Now just to make matters more complex, I'll not be actually building the shed, I'll be prefabing the parts. You see a company is sponsoring this build. I'll be working there on Wednesday all day and then they will show up on Friday to do the build, there will be over 100 people from the company and they will be demolishing the old shed and then standing up the new one. I'll build the floor, the walls and the roof ahead of time, they will stand it up and screw it together, then they will add the purlins and the corrugated plastic. The door will be on the front (that is the yellow stuff on the front of the second picture) and will be very basic. This thing does not have to be perfectly water tight, just enough to keep the critters out of the garbage.

This all just got approved, so I'm really flying by the seat of my pants here, they have a very limited budget and we are trying to do the most for the kids within this limit.

I know it's not a log of info, but can you add any ideas to make my job easier?

The things I get roped into, let me tell you.....

Cheers!

Man...you sure get yourself into some interesting stuff. This is the kind of thing I'd rush over to help with. Random thoughts: Sooo...you are gonna completely build this thing by yourself and then a hundred people are coming over to assemble it??? Consider incorporating some form of screened ventilation as part of the walls? Garbage must get stinky. Make sure the floor isn't completely level. Slant toward the front for drainage of leaks. Is the garbage always in bags or is there container service available that you will have to consider. Make door? big enough so a person can stand in it and sling bags easily. Good luck:)

Yeah. Be there on Friday! Prefabbing off site is a nightmare even if you had room to pre-assemble for fit and then knock down for transport and rebuild, which I understand you don't have. Intensive Sketchup to the rescue.

One thought that comes to mind is to build the corners and assemble them. Mark them carefully and then build the walls. Labeling is critical here. If nothing else, being there Friday watching others interpret tab A into Slot B with camera in hand ought to be worth a few yucks.

Seriously, Stu, good on you for all you do. Beats working for ungrateful MIL, huh?

Slanting the floor, good idea Ted, thanks.

Carol, I'll be fabricating onsite, seriously no space here in Tokyo.

I'll be labeling like crazy!

The fellow in the picture is leading the build and he will be there on Wednesday when I'm there and on Friday to lead the build.

Oh yeah, this happens this coming Wednesday....... it's Tuesday.... :doh:

I'll get it done for sure!

Stu, I don't know what kind of corrugated plastic you speak of. Like the stuff they make skylights out of for pole barns? Like this? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=X&ei=j5CmUr3uDcfayAGqyIGYBw&ved=0CIQBEPUBMAc

Or material like for a greenhouse like this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...ts-15-Pack-COR-2418-15/202038093#.UqaQhiewVOc

Either product, I would be concerned with it becoming brittle due to UV. Brittleness becomes cracked or shards of sharp material that would not be safe. I don't know how the garbage is piled inside, bags, rolling carts? But at minimum at least a railing of 2X4's around the inner perimeter to keep from pushing the plastic off of the studs. If it is unloaded from the front, would slope it to the back so they aren't stepping in the crud. Ventilation with hardware cloth (http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1302712) to keep critters on the outside.
Just my two cents.

Wow, 100 people to demolish and assemble prefabbed parts? That will either go really, really fast or be a big ball of confusion!

Here's what I think it might resemble.

Stu, I don't know what kind of corrugated plastic you speak of. Like the stuff they make skylights out of for pole barns? Like this? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=X&ei=j5CmUr3uDcfayAGqyIGYBw&ved=0CIQBEPUBMAc

Or material like for a greenhouse like this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...ts-15-Pack-COR-2418-15/202038093#.UqaQhiewVOc

Either product, I would be concerned with it becoming brittle due to UV. Brittleness becomes cracked or shards of sharp material that would not be safe. I don't know how the garbage is piled inside, bags, rolling carts? But at minimum at least a railing of 2X4's around the inner perimeter to keep from pushing the plastic off of the studs. If it is unloaded from the front, would slope it to the back so they aren't stepping in the crud. Ventilation with hardware cloth (http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1302712) to keep critters on the outside.
Just my two cents.

The greenhouse stuff, but it is different, it has a 10 year warranty on the UV thing and it also has a fibermesh embedded in it.

Slope to the back, well if they get it anywhere near level I'll be impressed, so I have only a 25% chance they will have it sloping forward, but I'll try to tell them.

The garbage is all in bags.

I left at 6AM for the two hour drive out to the build site.....

IMG_6881.JPG

The sun was not up yet.

I just got home, at 8:30 PM, that is a LONG day :D

I just about got the shed built....

IMG_6918.JPG

I was tasked with a bunch of other things as well, so getting the shed done was just not going to happen. Looks like I'm in for a two hour drive out there, four hours of work and then a two hour drive back tomorrow, maybe the same on Friday too....

Met some of the kids, and they were great!

Cheers!

I was also thinking 100 people to build a shed. Sounds like chaos in the making. But then i see you already half done on your own. Must be something I am missing here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I was also thinking 100 people to build a shed. Sounds like chaos in the making. But then i see you already half done on your own. Must be something I am missing here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah like the part of the first post in the thread that I said...

We will be building a playground and doing a bunch of other things to fix the place up, a lot of painting etc but I just got the go ahead for building them a new shed. This shed is used to keep the garbage for the orphanage in until the garbage truck comes once a week.

:D :rofl:

Other things like.....

IMG_6891.JPG

IMG_6892.JPG

IMG_6893.JPG

All this crushed rock has to be shifted by hand then spread out to fill in pot holes

IMG_6905.JPG

The building in the background will get some new paint, the scaffolding will be removed and new nice window protectors will be built and attached.

The wall around the soon to be demoed shed that is red in color will be painted, the long low wall that is sort of beige will be painted.

IMG_6885.JPG

This building will be painted

IMG_6886.JPG

There will be a playground built on the sandy area there between the building to be painted and my gold colored van.

And they are going to cook a turkey dinner will all the fixings for the kids (60+ kids) staff, (20 or so) and all the 100+ volunteers that come to help.

Plus there are other areas to be spruced up and painted like this area.....

IMG_6913.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG

The swing set, slide and zip line will be painted......

Trust me there is enough work for two days of 100+ people helping out.

The kids came back around 3:00PM from school and many of them pitched in to help out, mainly stripping the old paint off the low wall.

Cheers! :thumb: