Thread: beware the cat

beware the cat

This from a site that sells knife supplies and custom knives. The owner is man enough to admit his mistakes as lessons for others. This one is particularly interesting and a good lesson. Despite the fact I very much dislike cats, this was probably a pretty traumatic incident for all involved.

Safety isn't for humans only. Make sure your workshop is clear of family pets while running power tools . When I started up my table saw, I didn't notice that the family cat was asleep on a high shelf above. The noise startled her her and she jumped down onto the spinning blade. Yeow! Besides being traumatic, this cost me over $600 bucks in vet bills. Sigh. Very unhappy kitty.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Yikes. A good friend of mine once found a cat sleeping under the hood of his car (disovered the hard way...especially for the poor cat), but I'd never thought about the hazards of shop tools.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The cat is probably saying to him "I told you to keep the blade guard on that darn thing then this wouldn't have happened"!!
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

just south of the LA/MS border off of I-55

good to remember in cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Yikes. A good friend of mine once found a cat sleeping under the hood of his car (disovered the hard way...especially for the poor cat), but I'd never thought about the hazards of shop tools.

Heat sources and critters go together in cold weather. Cats and kittens like to crawl inside the fan shroud behind the radiator. Snug, warm, they often spend the night there. First time I thought it was a fluke, second time . . . Strays, but I started opening the hood before starting an engine in cold weather for a few years. Been over forty years now and I haven't opened a hood to check for critters in years now but I'm not out until the wee hours most nights offering a warm late night spot for critters these days! Such a homebody that grass dies under my truck tires if it is parked on the grass. Nothing better to do than play on the farm. Got to go make groceries this morning, not better than staying home in the warm but better than not making groceries!

Hu