Air Pump For Scroll Saw and other..

Paul Douglass

I've been contemplating getting an aquarium air pump to use with my scroll saw and with my little router jig I have for my Dremel tool. I have read where that type of pump works well when you scroll at slower speeds and would sure help with my Stewart MacDonald router jig. Anyone use one of these and if so what size do you have? Looks like they are sold according to the size of tank one has.

I have the regular pump in my scroll saw. My gut reaction though is to buy the biggest/bigger pump available and attach it under the bench or somewhere out of the way and less noise. Since it is a bigger pump, a longer hose shouldn't negatively affect it working properly.

Daniel! Let me be the first to welcome you to this forum/family!!!!! You are not a lone stranger from Canada, have met a few of them in person and they are top notch people, so if they are in your neck of the woods, a meet up is a great thing.

Yes Daniel, welcome to the forum and thanks for the input on my question.

Jonathan, my scroll saw (DeWalt) has its own pump. It works good except at slow speed than it gets weaker. The main purpose for the pump would be for my little router stand for routing with my Dremel. It has a place to connect an air hose. The need for one for my scroll saw is an after thought and helps justify it to my boss,, er wife. Not that I need to, I'm the man of the house,,,, ah,,, :yes::blackeye:

...was looking at something like this: http://amzn.to/1fpiwI0

I'm wondering if it would work with the stew mac router base??

Yeah, that'll work for sure. I have that pump aerating my pond, and it's a brute. It comes with a 6 outlet manifold, and I have four of them going in my pond, 24/7.

Actually, you could get away with a lot smaller pump - like the under $20 Little Giant - for the StewMac base. I've used a quite small pump with mine, and it worked very well.

Thanks much Jim!

I saw the pump from Stew Mac and bought one slightly cheaper on amazon, a tiny 10 gallon one, baaaad idea, lol.

I barely can feel any air coming through on the base. Not knowing what I was doing, I looked up the specs, it's 1 LPM airflow. That other amazon one is 70 LPM.... oops, much better fit there.

Problem that I'm hoping to solve is that I use tiny bits down to 1/32" , downcut spiral bits, so the sawdust gets pushed back into the channel, thus needing to flush it out with a fairly powerful stream of air.