Assembly Table Completed

Allen Bookout

I
assemblytable1.jpg

This is a photo of the work in progress. I built the torsion box table top out of 1/2"MDF and like Bart told me it is really heavy so I had to come up with some way to handle it by myself. I can slide it onto this moblile work stand that I bought from Northern Tool for $140. I had to add onto the top to get it high enough that I could use the foot pedel to raise it and also to level the top. You can see where I shimed between the work stand top and the wood. After I built the top I decided that I wanted a couple of Kreg plates installed so that I could use their hold downs so I had to cut out between the supports and fill those two sections with plywood and glue and then seal it up again. I threw together a couple of roller "things" that I could slip under each end of the table to roll it to a storage place. Now I can push it around with a couple of fingers.

assemblytable2.jpg

This is basically the same picture except the torsion table is laminated and the plates are installed. The mobile base is at it's lowest adjustment.

assemblytable3.jpg

The assembly table is ready to go to work. I can adjust it where the top is 17" above the floor level or 36" above the floor level or anywhere in between. This way I could also use it as an infeed or outfeed table. Now I can complete the assembly of a project and roll it into my temporary spray booth for a finish.

It is not totally stable but I think that is because the swivel casters are not double locking. I am planning on slipping a couple of vertical pieces in where the handle should go; Take a little weight off and lock the verticals in place. If that dosen't work I will come up with some leveling legs on the ends of the table itself. I also need to add a few handles to the table to make it easier to manipulate.

Last edited:
Not sure why, but here's the pic's for you ::

(I like the table - that's a heck of a good idea!!)

(image copies deleted)(Allen got it fixed)

cheers

Last edited:
Nicely done, Alan. :clap: When I get into a shop with more room, I'd like to do something similar for a general-purpose table to use wherever the need arises.

Mine is very similar, made using a Harbor Freight hydraulic cart, and a framed MDF top. My top is only about 3' X 5' though.

Only hassle is getting down under it to open the hydraulic valve. Gotta be careful to open it very slowly to keep it from dropping on me...

Mine is very similar, made using a Harbor Freight hydraulic cart, and a framed MDF top. My top is only about 3' X 5' though.

Only hassle is getting down under it to open the hydraulic valve. Gotta be careful to open it very slowly to keep it from dropping on me...

Jim, Our tops are very simular and mine is only 3' x 6' x 4". Same thing with letting it down. Mine has a lever but if you push too hard it comes screaming down. Only takes once to learn.

I made one of those some years ago. I have screwed a Grizzly bench top to mine. Works for now. As for the raising and lowering mechanism. First I have to rebuild the cylinder. It leaks. It is maybe 12 years old. Hot summers aren't good for rubber rings. :)

But, the reason for the post. Mine has a valve link a floor jack. You rotate it to release it. I just made a longer pipe thingie to turn the valve. After I get the cylinder rebuilt, I am going to have my brother weld a slip holder to the other end that I can slip over the pump up lever, so I can jack it up without crawling under it.

...Mine has a valve link a floor jack. You rotate it to release it. I just made a longer pipe thingie to turn the valve. After I get the cylinder rebuilt, I am going to have my brother weld a slip holder to the other end that I can slip over the pump up lever, so I can jack it up without crawling under it.

Carol,
Mine has a (reasonably) accessible foot pedal for jacking it up, but the release is a knob at the bottom frame, connected via a shaft and U-joints to the valve on the jack. I might be able to fashion some sort of additional linkage to bring it out further, but then I fear it would be hanging 'out in space' just waiting to be bent or broken.

As allen said, it only takes 'dropping it' once to learn. DAMHIKT...

Neat idea Allen! :thumb:

I almost got one of those crank up tables but got the sky hook instead. I would have never though of that. Great idea! :clap:

DT

Jim D.

I know what you mean. My pipe thingie has 'fingers' on the end that poke into the valve handle. After I am finished with turning the valve, I just hang the pipe thingie in the corner.

Wish I could take a picture for you, but it is in storage in Arizona and I am in snowy Iowa! :eek: I HATE this weather!