Thread: Using an ROS as a buffer

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Using an ROS as a buffer

My wife put down a coat of wax over the WOP I had applied to the dining room table, and buffed it by hand. She wasn't saatisfied with the result, so I went out looking for a buffing pad for a drill. I had to go to four stores before I found one at the local Canadian Tire. It was a lambswool buffer with a 5" diameter hook and loop back, so I said, "Hey, I can use it on my ROS!"

So I just put it on the ROS, and though I was afraid the buffer would turn too fast, it turns quite slowly unless I use very, very light pressure. It left an even semigloss sheen on the quarter of the table I've done so far, but I'm wondering if I can hurt the motor if I continue, and maybe I should get the kit that attaches to a drill before I continue?

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Thomasville, GA
    A few years ago, I picked up a Turtle Wax 6" buffer that uses a variety of pads. It was under $30, as I recall and worked fine on a couple of items I needed to buff out.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

ABQ NM
    I seriously doubt that buffing will be any harder on your ROS than sanding is. Plus, because the orbital motion is random, you're less likely to get visible swirl marks.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Escondido, CA
    I got a car buffer on sale at the autoparts store. Think it was $29 plus a few extra lambswool pads. Super tool. Probably 8" in diameter. I just wash the pads and I am good to go.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed