Okay This is My Rant!

Paul Douglass

Cowboys are the real MEN!

Been watching some of the Rodeo Finals. All I can say is Football players are the whooshes. They are crying about getting there protected heads bumped, being bullied in the locker room, their protected bodies bruised and them make millions!
1011.gif

The cowboys don't complain, they climb on those bulls and horses and ride, even injured, no complaints, no whining and they make a few hundred thousand if they are lucky or good enough. No comparison. And they are battling something that weighs 10 times more than them. Give me a break. They take more beating in 8 seconds than a football player takes in a full season. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

12BF86~11.gif

I think the difference is that a football player may possibly get brain damaged by banging heads with another player but a guy who willingly rides a crazed 3000 pound bull is already pretty brain damaged :rofl:

the cowboys don't get tv air time and sponsors like football players.
the football players have better agents.
And last, the football players must be a bit smarter than the cowboys since if they are getting that kind of abuse and bodily injury for such low compensation, that doesn't make them that smart, better off playing football.

I think the difference is that a football player may possibly get brain damaged by banging heads with another player but a guy who willingly rides a crazed 3000 pound bull is already pretty brain damaged :rofl:

When I was in junior rodeo the joke was that you started out with a mouth full of marbles and when riding steers and everytime you got on a steer you spit out a marble once you lost all your marbles you were ready to start riding bulls. But yeah I saw guys so busted up they could barely walk make an 8s ride. Only the top handful make anything resembling a living either, lots of guys actually have to have other jobs so they can afford to rodeo (that couple hundred thousand would be for maybe the top 0.1%).

I read the other day robinson cano, a former yankee, signed on with another team for something like 240 million dollars for 7 years? maybe it was 10 years?
amazing, even if he has dud seasons,
forget medical school, everyone should train their young children to pitch or field for baseball.

It's probably worth explaining that rodeo cowboys don't get paid, they win prize money. If you're not in the top three in an event you don't make anything. The curve from first to third is generally pretty steep. On top of that you have to pay to enter so most guys are going home net negative from any show. If you're a barrel racer or roper it's worse because you also have to haul your horses to/from each show (which means expensive trailers and trucks). In most small shows the price money is often mostly just the entry fees, the venue and stock are paid for by tickets and concessions. On some of the pro circuit events there are guaranteed prices, but they're usually pretty small except at the really large events like national finals.

We got hooked on rodeo while stationed in Montana in the early sixties. The Augusta rodeo was pretty impressive for us upstate New Yorkers and we loved it. Now we are big Professional Bull Rider (PBR) fans and have watched bull riding grow as a TV sport from the beginning in 1992. It's quite a story and very impressive how 20 cowboys put up $1,000 each to start the PBR.
http://www.pbr.com/en/education/history.aspx

We got hooked on rodeo while stationed in Montana in the early sixties. ..

For us, it was when we were stationed in Seattle, in the early 70s. The Ellensburg rodeo was a 'must see' every year. and so was the Pendleton Roundup. Not like today's PBR stuff - it was more like a few professionals - like Larry Mahan, etc. - combined with a bunch of young local wannabees, but the show they put on was great.

I had a a girlfriend in college who's dad owned a ranch that raised rodeo stock on South Dakota.

I got to help round up a pasture full of bulls one time. One of those ornery critters charged at my horse and I darn near got bucked off.

I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who gets near those animals, let alone jump on their back and ride one!

We raised horses for part of my growing-up years, and we were around the rodeo crowd quite a bit. (Dad was in the Sheriff's Posse and my sisters and I rode in the Junior Sheriff's Posse.) I had aspirations of being a calf roper, but we no longer owned horses by the time I was old enough to try it. (I was a decent roper as a kid, but never did it from the back of a horse.) Broncs and bulls? No thanks, lol.