Ant Colony Art

That is really cool :score:

Years ago I was in the Florida pan handle and a customer on a jobsite told me to watch out for the "Faants" :huh: A few hours later and some calamine lotion I figured out he was saying watch out for the fire ants:doh:

I watched that the other day and I wondered about air... do ant colonies have more than one air hole/entrance? As I would have thought otherwise the aluminum would not have flowed in there quite so smoothly...

Sorry to pour a cold bucket of water onto this but the idea is not new, enthomologists do it very often, specially in african termite nests to have 3D cast of the gallerys for investigation purposes, although they do not use aluminum but a plastic resin.
My only concern comes when I imagine myself being one of those ants whose charred bodies are embeded for ever in that aluminum; something similar to what happened to Pompeii inhabitants on August 24th on year 79 AC, when Vesubius volcano erupted and covered the city with red hot ashes, plaster castings of the voids left in those solidifyed ashes by the bodies of those people show how horrible their death was as it is known by their terror stances.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pompeii_Garden_of_the_Fugitives_02.jpg

Just goes to show that imagination is alive and well!! Reminds me of the movie Sweet Home Alabama and lighting strikes in sand.

That was pretty cool, not for the ants though. :rolleyes:

I saw a video of a guy making table bases out of molten aluminum on a beach once. He dug deep narrow holes, some small trenches to connect them and poured. He'd grind the top flat and attache some glass. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.