Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suround boom

Suround boom

One thing I've been working on during my week off was to install my Suround sound again. My wife fought tooth and nail to not have the wall warts, so I installed those in the shop and bought new Yamaha ceiling speakers for the living room.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386908148226.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	79764

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386908175399.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	79765

I had to add a couple of access holes to the heating duct chase, which will get wall plate covers, to get all my wires run without having to remove drywall.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386908206094.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	79766

I have the sun room side opened up and will be removing the windows in a couple of weeks. Also will have speaker patch panels on this wall as well as in the closet where the equipment is currently. I just havethe cables patched for now so we can try out the speakers.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1386908599438.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	79767

The tv will be moving on the other side of where the closest window is. Audio and video equipment will be on this side. The large set of windows will become an opening, had to move the electrical above, which is why all the drywall is removed. The far window will be closed up.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That looks like a lot of work! Still, I would like to run the surrounds up in my ceiling, but just not much of a good way to get there from here.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yes it was, I'm feeling it today too.

Luckily I had a 4' long 3/4" drill bit, which needs a sharpening now. I had to drill through 4 headers, 3 of them vertically through the center (plywood filler between outer 2x10's). Those fiberglass pull rods from HF worked great, best $9 I've ever spent, used them the weekend before last to pull in wires for my FIL's surround sound too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice-looking installation so far, Darren.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I think LOYL was right. Nice clean look there.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

That's a nice clean look. No big bulky things to take up space or chords to try and hide. I wonder how the ceiling speakers sound. Are they designed for that specific purpose? I have a real old school set up and recall there were optimum locations for all the speakers....usually some place where they stood out like a sore thumb. Hard to fit these old Klipsch La Scallas into the ceiling

Name:	speaker 002 (Small).JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	79779

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    That's a nice clean look. No big bulky things to take up space or chords to try and hide. I wonder how the ceiling speakers sound. Are they designed for that specific purpose? I have a real old school set up and recall there were optimum locations for all the speakers....usually some place where they stood out like a sore thumb. Hard to fit these old Klipsch La Scallas into the ceiling
    The speakers sound good, but I'm waiting on an optical cable to feed the sound back from the tv to the AV Receiver to get full 6.1 sound as my AV Receiver is old enough that it doesn't have HDMI through-puts. The speakers frame is about 10" in diameter, there is a 6" speaker mounted on that at an angle so that you can turn and tighten it in the direction you want it to project. The tweeters on them are also somewhat adjustable for direction. I cut a bat of 4" insulation about 1 1/2' long and laid above each speaker, but mostly to keep the sound from resonating upstairs less. The sub box still sits on the floor outside of the AV closet, but it's under a table and not that noticeable.

I may replace the AV receiver down the road, but it sounds a whole lot better than just the TV's factory speakers. The main purpose was make hearing the tv easier when other noise is happening in the house. My wife tends to turn it way up to drown out the kitchen TV, which in turn gets turned up and it becomes a battle of the volumes. Our kitchen tv gets used about as much and I'm seriously considering a surround sound there as well so we can hear it over the exhaust fan on the stove.
    Darren

In this case...I'm glad we have a small house!! But some really cool ideas Darren since our living room and patio share the same wall and several holes for sat and what not's. Mucho inspiration and clean lookin' work!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Ted, I meant to mention, most of the new AV Receivers come with a microphone you plug in and set it where you will be sitting. You run it through a setup process and it will make some hums and ticks and adjust the output to each speaker for the what it determines to be the best settings, pretty slick stuff.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Ted, I meant to mention, most of the new AV Receivers come with a microphone you plug in and set it where you will be sitting. You run it through a setup process and it will make some hums and ticks and adjust the output to each speaker for the what it determines to be the best settings, pretty slick stuff.
    That's what I need! My receiver was top of the line ....in 1985