Who wears face shields

Al Launier

After reading some of the close calls on this forum, I'm thinking about face shields, like this one http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S8510-Po...ardcoat/dp/B001VY3ACE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_2 .

The protection afforded sounds good, yet I suspect there still may be fogging (despite the claim to the contrary); it might be hot to wear; the clear visibility may not be as claimed; it's still recommended that safety glasses should be worn under the face shield; and would they scratch up or discolor with time. Although I don't do any turning, other tools can provide their own unique dangers, so I view this shield as a shop safety device...if it is as good as claimed.
So, who wears a face shield for routine shop work and which brand do you recommend?

I have a cheap one I bought at HF. I only use it when I'm turning. My lathe is small and I don't turn anything big so I use it to prevent chips from getting in my eyes. It does tend to fog from time to time.

Ditto on Bob's comment. When I first bought the face shield I also used it at the table saw, but got away from that in favor of safety glasses. Now I'm thinking maybe I should keep the face shield by the table saw as a reminder!

It's appalling how many people never think about breathing protection and how much damage is done to the lungs by not doing so.

It's appalling how many people never think about breathing protection and how much damage is done to the lungs by not doing so.

Jim certainly hit my hot button. DC first.

To Al's question; Dad had the Harbor Freight shield which is not going to stop anything over the size of a pea if it is moving at any rate of speed but, will keep sawdust out of your face very well. At some point, I believe it was after having something small hit the HF shield and making it all to apparent what he wasn't protected against, he bought the shield you show and wears it along with safety glasses for turning. I also use it when I am down there and dare to stick a toe in the spinny waters. This shield (the same one you show) is not a replacement for safety glasses, it is an enhancement to them.

Good points -

• light and comfortable
  • protects well
  • you can wear low profile respirators and safety glasses under it with no problem
  • does not fog even after an extended wearing period but, we are in SoCal (think desert)
  • price is very reasonable

Bad points -
  • you need somewhere to hang it
  • it is one more thing to put on before you start to turn

The bad points don't really count if you turn. It would be like counting the noise factor against good dust collection; it just doesn't pass muster.

You never can tell what might happen in a shop. As an example, several years ago, within a month of buying some very expensive polycarb lens glasses, I purchased a small set of drills that would work in a hex holder on my drills. It was neatly and compactly packaged in a set from Lowe's. When I tried to pull out one of the drill bits the little tilt out holder got snagged somehow and forcefully launched the adjacent bit out of the package like a dart and it hit dead center on my left eye. The polycarb lenses did their thing and stopped the bit, but the new lens got a nice gouge, still there today that reminds me you can never be too safe. Now that I think of it, I guess it's time for new glasses. I'm a firm believer in eye protection as a minimum and always wear shatter resistant polycarb lenses (my normal glasses). I always wear full face protection when turning or using my table saw or chain saw or anything else that can launch a projectile.

I have the Uvex Bionics and use it mostly when turning (maybe should consider it on the TS as well :D). Its saved my face at least once when a split piece of wood let loose, very recommended. Its light enough it doesn't really bother me. Discoloration hasn't been a problem, but it will collect some dust/crud over time, so I take it in and wash it off every other day or so. Replacement plastic isn't that expensive either ($10 I think?) so once it gets to bad will end up doing that. I've never noticed it being hot, fogging hasn't been an issue here (but its drier here than where you are so ymmv).

The 3M 6000 and 7000 masks with P100 filters fit under it quite nicely (I have a 7200 which is about $10 more than the 6200 but is imho more comfortable, fits better and has better air flow design).

I've also tried the trend-air shield which is a mask+powered respirator and personally I like the uvex+3m combination a lot better. The Trend would theoretically fog less because of the continuous airflow although with the 3m 7200 the air exits out the bottom (and haven't really had a problem so far). My main issue with the Trend is that it was quite top heavy and after 2-3 hours of turning my neck would be killing me. When you find you aren't wearing something because its uncomfortable its time to find a replacement. So far have been quite happy with the Uvex.

I have the one that is sold by LV. I think it may be Uvex. It makes me look like a woodturning astronaut. I also use it when I'm using the grinder, if I remember to put it on. It is comfortable. I've never had anything hit me in the mask, so I think it magically prevents stuff from coming at you.

Who wears face shields lyrics

[Spoken:]
:cool:Ooh man, dig that crazy turner.:cool:

♫Who wears face shields?
We wear face shields
They're such safe shields
We like face shields.
Who wears face shields?
We wear face shields.♫

Repeat 2x and fade :cool:

Last edited:
I wear a Trend Airshield at the lathe and a hardhat/mesh face shield/hearing protection when using the chainsaw. Also typically wear the Trend when sharpening on my dry grinder. Haven't worn a face shield at the table saw, but I'm very cognizant about staying out of the line of fire.

My Trend has saved my face from some pretty good hits at the lathe, including a few that have hit so hard it rocked my head back.

Looks like the biggest users by far are the turners, and with good reason.

Yesterday I went scrounging around in the bonus room over the garage, which is used for overflow storage. I had this recollection about a face shield I bought many years ago for chain sawing. Couldn't remember if it was a mesh design or a clear plastic shield. Found it in a box I hadn't opened since I moved here in '97. Lo & behold, there it was! It's a Willson (yup 2 ell's) M-86 & is compliant to OSHA_ANSI_Z87.1 And, they are still available online. both the suspension & replacement shields.

I looked at the Trend face shields & like the air flow concept, but not their price. Holy Moly, they are expensive!

Guess I'll be using my old face shield for the table saw & router for a while.

I have a Trend, bought why back when they were under $300. It is somewhat top heavy, but I think if I used it often I'd get use to it. The bad part is I just don't put it on often enough. I'm one of those that always is thinking, after the fact, "I should have been wearing a face shield when I did that". I have got to change my habits.

Guess I'll be using my old face shield for the table saw & router for a while.

Kind of a bad idea Al. Talk about dust generators!! Next to a sander, lathe and TS generate more dust than any other cutting tool in the shop. If you can afford the tools and the wood, you can afford the protection and if you can't, get out of the shop and save your pennies. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than life long hospitalization with a tube sticking out of your neck. I know way to many wood workers that are in sub-acute facilities, including one who my wife is caring for now that always say "it won't happen to me...I'm careful, or I don't to it very much or that often".

I don't wear my trend as often as I should, nowhere as often as I should.
I guess its like my doctor keeps warning me to stay away from carbs, don't listen to him much either.
eventually, unfortunately, Im sure Ill pay the price.

Glenn mentioned that I also have the Uvex. It is the most comfortable face shield I have used (only had 3 others, one of which was the HF). I steam up under any dust mask, even the cheapies that only stop things as small as a pea. I do NOT steam up under the Uvex face mask.

The optics are clear (that is a retired optometrist speaking). Definitely get the coating, it is worth far more than the price (that is a retired optometrist speaking). The coating greatly improves the scratch resistance and, like on a camera or glasses, cleans up the optics by reducing reflections and refraction.
The mask fits solidly, lightly and comfortably on the head. It will take you a few tries to find the sweet spot. It adjusts "7 ways for Sunday." I remember using it a few days to find that sweet spot.

The HF face mask has a tendency to flop around---it is quite flimsy. The elastic stretches. It slides down; there is no over-the-head support. I cannot remember the names of the other face masks I tried---however, they were better than the HF and not even close to being as good as the Uvex. I tried the Trend, however on my 107 pound body it felt like I had a Mustang convertible up there.

The head safety gear is a true pain-in-the-head. By the time you protect your ears, lungs, eyes and face you should be on Star Wars.
I use the yellow, cylindrical, foam ear plugs for two reasons: 1) They rate very highly on the db reduction scale and 2) over-the-head ear protectors just do not work with glasses, dust mask and a face shield.
I use prescription safety glasses. You cannot legally call a pair of safety lenses, "Safety Lenses" unless they are mounted in a Safety Frame. Lenses that are not in a safety frame make like a good ice cream scoop if they are hit. You better believe that if you were an eye doc, no one would have to tell you to wear eye protection.
I use the Uvex safety shield to deflect the small stuff and to spread the pressure if something larger is ejected from the lathe.
I use a dust mask that is rated N-95 or higher.
I use a dust collection unit (PennState Industries) that is 2hp, traps dust particles down to 1 micron and has a very low price for a dust collector.
I use a JDS room air filter. However, I could live without this piece of equipment. Don't get me wrong; I am glad I have it. However, it is low on my dust control list.

Do I hate wearing all of this junk? You Are Daanged Right. Knowing what I know, would I stop wearing any of it? Absolutely Not.

Oh, yes. I hang mine on a peg near the headstock. I slit one side of a plastic grocery sack which I hang over it to keep ambient dust from settling on the face shield optics.

Enjoy,
JimB

After reading some of the close calls on this forum, I'm thinking about face shields, like this one http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S8510-Po...ardcoat/dp/B001VY3ACE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_2 .

The protection afforded sounds good, yet I suspect there still may be fogging (despite the claim to the contrary); it might be hot to wear; the clear visibility may not be as claimed; it's still recommended that safety glasses should be worn under the face shield; and would they scratch up or discolor with time. Although I don't do any turning, other tools can provide their own unique dangers, so I view this shield as a shop safety device...if it is as good as claimed.
So, who wears a face shield for routine shop work and which brand do you recommend?

I use the shield shown in the link... it works good, it's not overly heavy, doesn't seem to fog too much and it will stop a bowl flying off the lathe... I had one split, half took out my face shield - no damage to me -- the other half took out my overhead florescent tube light... it suffered some. I'm still picking up glass in my shop.

A point of fact, after my previous encounter with flying bowls, I put on my face shield BEFORE I turn on my lathe.