Small roll top desk for a Granddaughter

Looking good, Bryan.

Hmm, I'm looking at that space on either side of the drawer and thinking "10yr old" .... and I'm thinking that would be a great place for a little "hidden compartment" for the recipient.
Even just putting a shelf across half of the space would let you reach up and under and tuck "secret" things out of the way.

the drawer side structure, how did you join them to the front and back apron?
Kreg pocket holes holds the side structure the drawer tracts fasten to. I had it fastened to the back to what I thought was square, but drawer sat crooked, so rear pocket screws holding the side structure boards had to be re positioned. Clamping a board across the front and the drawer front made the side structure easy to reposition.

I made a simple jig to do the box joints. I had to add .012 shim to the dado stack to get it loose enough to put together. I got the 1/4" oak back on the organizer. I may have to make size adjustment to the organizer, bit too close to the roll top.
IMG_6998.JPGIMG_6997.JPGIMG_6999.JPG

Everything is done but drilling for a handle on the drawer. I'm out of the stain I used on the grandkids other furniture. A road trip to the ML Campbell distributor will be combined with a trip to sawmill for 4/4 oak for the next project.
smiley.gif

IMG_7002.JPG

Looking good, Bryan.

Hmm, I'm looking at that space on either side of the drawer and thinking "10yr old" .... and I'm thinking that would be a great place for a little "hidden compartment" for the recipient.
Even just putting a shelf across half of the space would let you reach up and under and tuck "secret" things out of the way.
Great idea, I could add some wood on the right side for a hidden shelf!

Once again you make it look all so easy if only it were. Very nice build thanks for all the detail Bryan. I need to apprentice with someone like you. Really like the tambor method you used.

looks like you got it broke down just fine hope you taped the glue joint spots:) how did they like that chair you made bryan at your club?
No meeting yet, just discussing a date most can agree on. Maybe only be a few will show up, coffee at a Tim Hortons / Wendy's/ New york fries type restaurant off the 4 lane expressway that's a mid point to a lot of fellows. Usually anyone within 25 miles attends.

I've had similar things happen to me on the lathe. Never fun, but it's always easier to do it over and make it right than kick myself every time I see the piece and see the scratches.
With the 6" Bosch sander, had it ready to stain in 15 minutes. I took it to 220 grit and re-stained it. I was using the little 5" Festool with 150 grit Rubin. Not liking that paper, but came with the sander, bought it from another woodworker.

Almost done! I still need to spray the pencil drawers inside, fasten down the top to the base. I used my budget Fuji semi pro 2 HVLP to spray post cat satin lacquer. Great sprayer for $400. I added an optional 1.8 tip to spray lac. a few shiny pics!
grin.gif
grin.gif

IMG_7059.jpgIMG_7056.jpgIMG_7060.jpg

Really nice, Bryan. So, how do you spray finish on the tambor? What I mean is did you spray when all the pieces were together or separate?

And did you leave a hole in the back for power cords for all her technology?? ;)

ok bryan, i see your hiding that nice green spinny thing in the back ground with a fine piece of ash:) as for spraying the pigeon hole areas how will you do that? any special method?
also you mentioned post cat lacquer so you got some that you put in the catalyst when you want it for use? and finally you mentioned the 1.8 needle was that so you could spray full strength and not have it thinned some like you would possibly need on a 1.5 needle assembly

Really nice, Bryan. So, how do you spray finish on the tambor? What I mean is did you spray when all the pieces were together or separate?

And did you leave a hole in the back for power cords for all her technology?? ;)
I grouped the slats together with the socket side up and sprayed,& when dry, laid the slats flat for spraying, and flip when dry for the other side. I will check to see if a hole will be needed before delivery next week. She has a laptop and internet is wireless.