Preserving color of Argentine Lignum Vitae wood

Tom Baugues

Anyone here turn Argentine Lignum Vitae wood? I'm turning a pen out of some "Argentine Lignum Vitae". It is green in color before it went on the lathe. After turned it is a very nice caramel color. Pretty, but not the color I want for this pen kit. I have read that it will go back to its green color over time when exposed to air. My question is........would putting a CA finish on the turning prevent it from going back to it's green color? Or should I wait a while after turning it to finish it with CA?

Treat it like purple heart Tom...any kind of UV will cause oxidation and then you get your happy color back!! Heating in the oven...about 150* will do the same thing. Keep an eye on it either way!

Unfortunately...nope. Not to many finishes, without being nit-picky,, offer UV protection. Best advise came from a very renowned dye and color master...keep them out of direct sunlight. Even purple heart and cherry will "un-color" over time.

Yep. What Mack said. I have a piece of LV that is older than I am. It is walnut dark in color and has been as long as I have had it. Like most photosensitive woods, there is nothing you can do to stop the UV process.

Not to put too fine a point on this discussion but "oxidation" is related to exposure to oxygen and "UV exposure" is just that and not related to oxygen. Which is the cause of the discoloration? There potentially could be remedies but they would be completely different. Or have I misunderstood?

Yep. What Mack said. I have a piece of LV that is older than I am. It is walnut dark in color and has been as long as I have had it. Like most photosensitive woods, there is nothing you can do to stop the UV process.
Hi Frank; Just as an aside, I have been told by Tony from Spain, LV that is dark brown is first cut LV. Any LV with green colouring is second growth!

Your piece of it may be way older than you!:)