Pen Secrets - Lotza Pictures

Pete Simmons

Here is a Puzzle Pen and box - pieces are from ten Hawaiian woods.

This Puzzle Pen is special. I'll just say the young Lady it is going to is someone I am, but I know we would all be proud to call a friend. Very well versed in many areas and now a Ph. D. -- Wow!!

Ken Nelsen is the Grand Master of these inlayed pen kits.

I am very lucky as when I started this laser stuff 8+ years ago ( I knew nothing about a laser - had never even seen a laser) he coached me via email and phone calls. Most laser stuff that I know I learned from Ken.

I ended up building a custom rotary fixture timed with the movement of the laser head to be able to cut the laser pen pieces. I'll readily admit I buy most of the inlayed pen kits I use from Ken but some of the simpler or a complex one that catches my eye I will put in way to many hours and cut out myself.

Ken's the original person behind the Flag Pens and at one time back 5 or 6 years I may have made and sold more than any other individual. Trade secret here -- I have made over 50 Flag Pens. I live in an area with many retired military people with disposable income.

Ken's latest designs are incredible. Pen turners of the world are lucky to have a resource like Ken available.

rotaryf5.jpgpenbaxinside.jpgpenbox.jpgpuzz1.jpgpuzzlelathe2.jpgRotaryF1.jpg

Pete, the work you do is beyond belief. The puzzle piece and other laser cut pen blanks are unbelievable. I have turned quite a few and they always make people stop and look twice. I enjoyed seeing your blank holder/turner. Now I want to see a video the process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!