Automatic Guitar Tuner

That looks pretty slick. I'll have to see if the local Guitar Center has on in stock. I'd like to try it and see how well it works.

I have a couple of electronic tuners, but here's the tuner I use the most, lol...

Ear%20Thumbs%20Up%20300.jpg

Seen and used it a few years ago. A dude at church had one. My Korg works a lot better, that with my Boss TU-2 takes care of any in-line stuff. $50 buys a lot of strings!!

There are more electronic guitar gadgets out there than there are lathe turning tools. It's bewildering. Because my guitar teacher had one and it seemed to be a helpful practice tool (and was on sale), I just bought a little portable Korg Pandora PX5D Personal Multi-effects processor that does a lot of modeling, rhythm effects, has a phrase trainer mode with 80 seconds of recording capability, a tuner and lots of other stuff but not a very intuitive format. For a pocket sized device, it's kinda neat, but limited. Hopefully, it will tide me over until I can figure out what I'm doing.

...$50 buys a lot of strings!!

Wait. What? You buy strings? Didn't your guitar come with six of 'em already? :rofl: (I used to go through 3 sets a week on my main guitar, and one set per week on the secondary one.)

My POD pedal board has a tuner that I use on stage (and at home), but I picked up a very handy little clamp-on tuner on Black Friday from Guitar Center for $5.00. (Normally $9.95.) A lot of times I can't set up my pedal board until other PA and lighting gear and cables are put in place first, so I get my guitars uncased and onto the rack while I'm waiting. I can use the little clamp-on tuner to tune up at the same time and not have to worry about plugging into the pedal board.

DV016_Jpg_Large_1312645341459_A.jpg

I picked up a Blue Snark from a Guitar Center sale not long ago . . . And it so much more fun saying "I gotta Blue Snark" :rolleyes: :D

View attachment 79877

Ha, I should get a blue one to go with my black one, be quite fitting considering how I abuse my strings, guitars, others ears, all while attempting to play :eek::rofl:
Bought mine at best-buy paid a dollar three ninety eight if memory serves :D {$10?? something on sale}

BTW for those unfamiliar, there is also auto tune for singers, Here ...not that I would of looked into anything like that, what with my vocal skills and all :rofl:

...BTW for those unfamiliar, there is also auto tune for singers, Here ...not that I would of looked into anything like that, what with my vocal skills and all :rofl:

The vocals in the band I'm playing with are run through something like this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Helicon-VoiceLive-2-Floor-Based-Vocal-Processor-105308266-i1435646.gc

Although it can do pitch correction, I don't think that's being used. Where it really comes in handy is adding vocal harmony parts. For example, with just Mike and Jeff singing*, they can do a great version of Seven Bridges Road with 4-part harmony, and you'd swear it was four guys singing. It has slick algorithms that determine what notes the harmony voices should sing based on what it "hears" Mike's acoustic guitar playing. If he's playing a minor chord, the harmony will be a minor chord. Same thing with a major chord...or any others. We don't use it a lot, but when it does get used, it's a great effect.

* With very few exceptions, I don't sing in public anymore. I do it for humanity. I was blessed with a very good ear...so good that I can tell my singing blows chunks.

Ok, This is really getting out of hand.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roadietuner/roadie-tuner-the-ultimate-guitarist-tool

[video]https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/759679/video-316723-h264_high.mp4[/video]

I sure wouldn't want one. It just screams 'gimmick'. ;)

For starters, 2 cents accuracy is pretty poor. The average for even inexpensive tuners is more like one cent.

Then there's the dependency on a smart phone or tablet. Might be feasible in the living room, but not so much for live performance.

They are planning on a retail price of $99. Pretty much any one of us here could tune a guitar faster, and just as accurately, with a $10 clip-on tuner and our hands.

And the real deal-breaker for me is the fact that, according to the video, it will tune a string down to a note. Major fail. With even the very best machine heads, there will be some backlash (slack) in the gears, and if you tune the string down to a note, it will soon slip and go lower than you wanted. You should ALWAYS tune up to a note, to ensure there's no slack in the gears.

Yep. Seems way too gimmicky. Now I could see having a little app on my phone that would let me pick an instrument and tell me what to tune each string to. That would be useful.

But to have it hooked through bluetooth to the motorized tuner?

I didn't catch that it was tuning down. Nobody I know tunes down to a note.

I sure wouldn't want one. It just screams 'gimmick'. ;)

For starters, 2 cents accuracy is pretty poor. The average for even inexpensive tuners is more like one cent.

Then there's the dependency on a smart phone or tablet. Might be feasible in the living room, but not so much for live performance.

They are planning on a retail price of $99. Pretty much any one of us here could tune a guitar faster, and just as accurately, with a $10 clip-on tuner and our hands.

And the real deal-breaker for me is the fact that, according to the video, it will tune a string down to a note. Major fail. With even the very best machine heads, there will be some backlash (slack) in the gears, and if you tune the string down to a note, it will soon slip and go lower than you wanted. You should ALWAYS tune up to a note, to ensure there's no slack in the gears.

... Now I could see having a little app on my phone that would let me pick an instrument and tell me what to tune each string to. That would be useful...

I've got a couple of guitar tuner apps on mine. One that plays the pitch and the other that displays a meter. It wouldn't surprise me if there were apps out there that can do what you're describing.