How do I make a bushing smaller

Bob Gibson

The bushings I need for the new Knights Armour pen from PSI are backordered until January. I have orders for 2 of the pens for Christmas.

I have bushing that would work but they are .522 in diameter and the diameter I need is .495.
I can't find any local machine shops to do help. It's probably a 5 minute job at best.

If I could mount the bushing on my lathe I thought that maybe a file or carbide lathe tool might work but I've no clue as how to mount them.

Any ideas ?????/

I agree with Garry. Mounting is easy...you do it every time you turn a pen. You could even use blank brass tubes as spacers between the bushings on the pen mandrel, but I'd use wood like Garry suggested just to avoid the chance of messing up the ends of the tubes. Once the mandrel is loaded and mounted, a file and some sandpaper should do the trick. to reduce the diameter.

You could take a dowel that is a bit undersized, split one end a bit, slide the bushing over the split end, install a small shim or wood screw to wedge open the split end until it's a tight fit with the bushing I.D., them mount it on a lathe or drill press by the opposite end, & then sand the O.D. of the bushing.

Or if you have a micrometer, put slimline bushings on each end and turn and measure. The heck with meeting a bushing, turn it to measurement. It really isn't as hard as it sounds. Calipers set a hair wide and sand to diameter if it makes you nervous.

You should have the measurements of the bushings from your instructions...although I seem to lose those on an hourly basis!! Get your dial caliper or micrometer out and go at it! Never try to file existing bushing unless you are exact and can polish them to exact measurements. Pens are exacting and the Opps's are easily seem and felt!! The best is always good enough.

I'd do it with undersized bushings and use a micrometer as suggested. I always us a mic even when I have the correct bushings. I don't trust them or the hardware for the pen to be exact. I measure the hardware where it meets the blank and turn to that, leaving a little shy to make up for the finish on the blank.

You could always use some dense plastic or hardwood and make a bushing. Really, they are there as a guide to the size, you shouldn't really be hitting the bushing with your turning tool anyway...

I'd say either make some, or just go undersized and measure with a micro.

The bushings I need for the new Knights Armour pen from PSI are backordered until January. I have orders for 2 of the pens for Christmas.

I have bushing that would work but they are .522 in diameter and the diameter I need is .495.
I can't find any local machine shops to do help. It's probably a 5 minute job at best.
You couldn't afford the shop labor for that.

When I don't have the bushings I need I usually make my own from Delrin rod. If you use a mandrel drill a 1/4" hole, mount and turn down to size. Quick easy to turn.

If you have some bushings that are smaller in diameter I've used masking tape to build up the OD until the desired size.

There are quite a few bushings that are in that ballpark of 0.495 ... Do you have any Polaris/Cabara bushings? Woodcraft has bushings for the Classic American Twist with that OD. PSI actually has quite a few with that OD (Majestic Squire, Art Deco, Diva)

Thanks Ron,

I think I'm going with the delrin rod idea or using smaller bushings and do as Jon suggested.
I have a bunch of bushings but nothing close enough. The Polaris I have isn't the same size. Also, the majestic squire is the same as the knights kit. Those are backordered until Jan.

I haven't done this but i wouldn't hesitate to try it. Using a plug cutter, coping saw, scroll saw or pocket knife cut out something close from a cheap cutting board. drill to match your mandrel. Now mount on the mandrel and turn to size. Probably end up better than most bought bushings. The cnc guys use the cutting boards for all kinds of parts.
Garry