Reference for Wood Finishing

Al Launier

After Christmas I'm hoping to get more involved with woodworking projects. However, if there is one area more than any other that I'm at a loss with, it's wood finishing, in particular oils, waxes, staining, etc. I had read many posts on FWW where different finishes are used on individual projects. I'm hoping to get a recommendation(s) for reference books, or magazines, that can provide the basic understanding of why different finishes are used for different applications, i.e. types of woods. Any suggestions?

Application and chemistry change on a weekly basis. It can take a while for the info to filter down. I stopped by Woodcraft in Pleasanton last year and asked the nice older lady behind the counter if they had any WTF...lucky for me she'd been around the block, gave me a wink and said "Follow me honey" :eek:. A few of the older gentlemen at the counter had quite the moment when we were back to check out in 30 seconds :rofl:. Now, WTF is chatted up on a regular basis...although my Italian wife still takes issue with WOP :doh:

Don't overlook Micheal Dresdner's books. Great, friendly, easy to understand from a cuddly curmudgeon. Some of you will relate. You know who you are. :rofl:

Probably the easiest way is to Google the type of finishing you are looking to do. Everything is out there.

Two problems with that:

First, there's a lot of wrong info on the Interwebs. Second, if you don't know what kind of finishing you want to do, it's hard to Google it. ;)