My first time doing Inlay. What do you think of it???

Kevin Hanes

DSC_0687.jpgDSC_0684.jpgOK everyone, I consider myself to be very much a novice at woodworking. I decided to "test" or "push" myself to do something I have not done or for that matter seen yet. The pictures is of a table top I am building for my wife for Christmas. It is a full sheet of 3/4" Maple ply wood cut to size and laminated to make a full 1 1/2" thick top. It is wrapped with solid oak. The Inlay is done with 1/4" Purpleheart. My wife is a Oncology RN in Columbus Oh. and lost her father 3 years ago to cancer, so I thought this was fitting especially since it is even tattooed on the back of her neck. As you can see, its not done yet. I hope to have the first coat of Poly on it tomorrow. I still have to "level" the Inlay and do a final sanding after filling my gaps. So tell me what you think. Go easy on me, its my first time lol. Any pointers or ideas? I almost forgot table dimensions 32"X48".

Thanks
KevinDSC_0659.jpgDSC_0667.jpgDSC_0680.jpgDSC_0681.jpgView attachment 79938DSC_0674.jpgDSC_0670.jpgDSC_0666.jpgDSC_0652.jpgView attachment 79939

I think it, and the sentiment are beautiful. No experience here so I can't offer any suggestions, but it looks like you are doing great so far.

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the kind words. I should have mentioned the base of the table is one I picked up at a auction. It's a aluminum base from a table that had a glass top. A kind of repurposing or saving it from the landfill if you will.

Update:
I just about had the table done for Christmas. I ended up spending more time building my cousins bookcase...... I believe I got my priorities backwards. But I didn't want to rush on the table to get the bookcase done.
So pictures in a day or two of the finished product! On another note, I showed her the table yesterday and she absolutely loves it!

The fact that she loved it is what you were striving for so congratulations on your success. Very nice job so far and I am also anxious to see the finish produce. you have done one area of wood working I really want to try, but haven't had the courage to try yet. Well done so far.