Lets see those gifts

Nice. Glenn showed me how to use it. Super jig.

No 'stuff' at my house. My gifts are the friends I have here and all over the globe. Thought about getting myself something. I did a couple of weeks ago. I sunk $4k in the car! :eek:

Merry Christmas.

The wife & I haven't exchanged gifts in a decade or so, always pretty much bought what we wanted/needed whenever...but now after three+ yrs of living the good life{unemployed ;)} we really couldn't justify it if we wanted...have to admit though, this is the only time of year we ever regret not having kids of our own :eek::rofl: love to see their shiny happy faces come X-mas morn :thumb:

Similar to Ken and his wife, Bobbie and I celebrate all special occasions throughout the year. If we see something we want and justify the expenditure, we don't wait for birthdays, Christmas, etc.

I order online or pick up from one of the borgs smaller items routinely. Earlier this year, I posted about my new table saw and Incra TS-LS system. Several weeks ago, I caught the Incra iBox at a good mark-down price, but was waiting until I had made something with it to post about it. With my share of Christmas money from my wife's folks, I bought Lithium-Ion replacement batteries for my Porter-Cable 18V drill/drivers.

On my wife's side of the ledger, she shops throughout the year using coupons and other incentives at department stores. She routinely ends up with top label clothing for an average of 25% of retail value. She likes Fossil watches and some of their jewelry, so I order her something when I see an item she would like. If I don't catch something, she'll ask if I like it and we order it together.

All of this is not to brag, but to present our way of handling our situation. My wife retired last March 1. I've been retired for about eight years. We live over 1000 miles from any of our kids we would want to spend a holiday with and they have their lives and work schedules. Rather than exchange gifts on special occasions anymore, my wife and I spend time preparing meals together or pick one of our favorite restaurants to celebrate.

So What does a Diggiery Do? :rolleyes: :D

In my case, it appears to be more of a DidgeriDon't!

But it is supposed to help with enhancing your breathing ability and reducing sleep apnea, for whatever reasons. If it can do that, I can give it 10-15 minutes a day.

Cool... that's a great looking do. If you can master circular breathing you got me beat. I followed on line instructions for making one out of pvc. Used a rubber plumbing adapter from Lowe's as a mouthpiece. Funky look, but great sound.

Last edited:
Nice goodies, all of you. :thumb:

Brent, one of my nephews got one of the flying orb things...didn't fly it yet, although the boys were flying a more conventional RC copter that one of the other nephews got. (It has a camera built in, too.) And the evil/juvenile part of me would like to take an MP3 of your didgeridoo sample and play it loudly while using someone's guest bathroom at a party. Probably get some interesting looks from folks as I walked out. :D

No woodworking goodies under the tree for me this year, but I did use some of my Christmas money to buy a guitar lesson this evening. Spent about an hour and a half with a very good LA studio guitarist (Gary Cook) who's originally from here but has been playing on and producing records in LA for the past 20 years. He also spent a number of years as a factory rep/demo artist for Roland and Yamaha. Very versatile player in many different styles. He's in town for the holidays, and tonight ended up working well for both our schedules. He used to watch our band play in the '80s, then later played with my bass player after I got out of the business, so our meeting was sort of a mutual admiration society, but he's got a lot more experience than me now, and was able to give me a number of good fresh ideas to work on in my own playing. This was my first actual lesson - as a paying student, anyway - in maybe 35 years. Now it's time to do some serious practicing to learn to apply what he showed me. ;)

Nice goodies, all of you. :thumb:

Brent, one of my nephews got one of the flying orb things...didn't fly it yet, although the boys were flying a more conventional RC copter that one of the other nephews got. (It has a camera built in, too.) And the evil/juvenile part of me would like to take an MP3 of your didgeridoo sample and play it loudly while using someone's guest bathroom at a party. Probably get some interesting looks from folks as I walked out. :D

No woodworking goodies under the tree for me this year, but I did use some of my Christmas money to buy a guitar lesson this evening. Spent about an hour and a half with a very good LA studio guitarist (Gary Cook) who's originally from here but has been playing on and producing records in LA for the past 20 years. He also spent a number of years as a factory rep/demo artist for Roland and Yamaha. Very versatile player in many different styles. He's in town for the holidays, and tonight ended up working well for both our schedules. He used to watch our band play in the '80s, then later played with my bass player after I got out of the business, so our meeting was sort of a mutual admiration society, but he's got a lot more experience than me now, and was able to give me a number of good fresh ideas to work on in my own playing. This was my first actual lesson - as a paying student, anyway - in maybe 35 years. Now it's time to do some serious practicing to learn to apply what he showed me. ;)

:rofl: I was actually playing that when my wife yelled up stairs "honey are you ok?"

Sounds like the money was well spent. :thumb:

I notice you had company for Christmas. Looks comfortable - indifferent to didgeridoos, huh? And a little white stuff. Glad you had a good holiday.

My wife & daughter combined to overwhelm me with what I needed to finish off my shop. They are now scheming what I can build for them. Works for me!!! ;)

· DeWalt 735 Thickness Planer with Folding Tables & Spare Blades
· Porter-Cable 4216 Super Jig Dovetail Jig
· Rikon 3 Speed Air Filtration System 400 CFM
· AccuRemote Digital Electronic Magnetic Angle Gage Level / Protractor Bevel Gage
· Rockler 52" Router Circle Cutting Jig
· (2) 48" edge Gluing Clamps
· Uvex S8510 Bionic Face Shield
· DeWalt DPG82-11C Anti-Fog Safety Goggle
· 20-Pack 3M Dust Respirators

Unrelated to tooling, but:
· Maverick ET732 Long Range Wireless 2 Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer
· ThermoWorks Super-Fast Mini Thermometer

My daughter went crazy over the Marshmallow Crossbows!

For the LOML she received a 50" TV so she could watch "her" shows, i.e. the different crazy housewives shows, etc, while comfortable on the bed, plus a Gift Card so she could choose what she wanted. My experience is not very good in choosing gifts. Usually, whatever I've chosen in the past gets exchanged. :rofl:

Attachments

• PC250038 - Resized to 75 %.jpg
    PC250038 - Resized to 75 %.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 39
  • PC250049-Resized to 75%.jpg
    PC250049-Resized to 75%.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Someone finally got me a crank neck chisel that's been on my list for awhile as one of those 'nice to have' items. Its my first Henry Taylor tool and unfortunately arrived poorly finished and required some reshaping before I could sharpen it up. Over time I have gathered the tools necessary to take care of such situations and had it usable in no time ;-)

Crank Neck HT.jpg

LOML got me a set of 82* HSS countersinks for preparing hinges to better accept screws along with a couple of router bits for decorative trim. Also, that old faithful for folks who don't embrace online wish lists or have any idea about tools . . . a BORG gift card :thumb:.

Unrelated to tooling, but:
· Maverick ET732 Long Range Wireless 2 Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer
· ThermoWorks Super-Fast Mini Thermometer

Hey, those are most definitely tools. :yes: Just for a different craft. ;) You have a great wife and daughter. :thumb: