Brittle

Ted Calver

Staff member
I first saw this recipe in a 1965 Gourmet magazine and have been making it every year since then. Today you can find variations all over the net. I made about twenty batches this year and it goes to the neighbors and the grand kids. I like to substitute honey for half of the corn syrup and generally use a teaspoon and a half of the baking soda to get more bubbles in the brittle and make it more tooth friendly. I have used walnuts, peanuts, mixed nuts, pecans, cashews, pistachios and macadamias with good success. In my microwave the first cook time is 6:30 and the second, after stirring in the extract and butter, is 4:30. Here's my basic version, enjoy:
Brittle.jpg
Pistachio
003.jpg
macadamia
005.jpg

And a hearty..."you suck";) ...I love those ingredients and have far to much time for fun at the moment! That'll get done this week!

Variation #N+1

Put the sugar into a blender or use a mortise and pestle and grind in 1-2 dried red chili pods. Proceed as usual!

The boss was talking about making brittle the other day.. hrmmm.

Want an extra surprise? Add a Tsp of white vinegar when you start. Make sure you are over the pouring site when you add the soda. This stuff foams up like crazy and is extremely tooth friendly. I've been doing this for years. Enjoy!!!