Hi from Tasmania

Craig riley

Gday everyone , i am absolutely brand new to woodworking , my son has done some lathe work at school and wants me to set up a shed so we can both learn. He likes the bowl making and stuff, whereas I would like to learn some rustic furniture skills , also like the idea of traditional gear like a treadle lathe
Anyway good to be here !

Regards
Craig

Welcome to the Family Craig!

A shed, your son and a hobby you can both enjoy, sounds like a little bit of heaven :D

Craig, when you think of Stu, think of a basement shop that would fit inside of a sardine can---So a shop sounds like true heaven to him and a lot of the others that have to move cars outside, roll the tools out from the walls, etc.
I am so glad for you that you have the space and wherewithal to have a "real" shop. I am fortunate to have a 3 car garage. The cars are not quite so fortunate---they just sit out there and go, "Bbbrrrrr."

If I can help you with the lathe, just let me know. However, and it is a big, HOWEVER, I am also a beginner. I have a pretty fair amount of book knowledge and little practical knowledge. We do have quite a few members who turn out a lot of really beautiful pieces and they love to help beginners. Use them and me!

Enjoy and welcome aboard,
JimB

Hi Craig! Welcome aboard.
You are going to enjoy it here as almost everyone is very knowledgeable (excludes me) about various aspects of woodworking and all are eager to help. They not only help with woodworking techniques, but also are a great source of information about the tools needed for the shop & for specific projects. You made a great choice! :thumb: