Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music - DAW Software

Music - DAW Software

Trying to put together a basic home studio on the cheap and am amazed at all the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software out there. So far I've seen Sequel, Reaper, LMMS, Cubase, Protools, Digital Performer, FL Studio, Cakewalk SONAR, and Ableton Live. There may be more. Reaper has been mentioned here and I'm wondering if that's the best bang for the buck for a basic simple system. Any thoughts?

I've got CuBase, which came with my Tascam US-200. I don't use it since it can't be installed on more than one PC.

I tried out Audacity for a while, it worked fine, but just wasn't as refined as others, but the price is great.

Reaper is the one I stuck with and though it is a 30 day trial, it will allow you to use the full version after waiting a few seconds and then click the "still evaluating" button for as long as you want. I "evaluated" it for about a year off and on before I finally paid for a license ($60 for personal use), but mostly it's been stable, they have 32 and 64 bit versions, and seems to get frequent updates (active development and community). I've been able to install the software and license key on both pc and laptop to work on tracks (using dropbox to share between computers). There seems to be plenty of "how-to" videos on youtube and other sites, several commercial tutorials as well.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I've used Cakewalk for so many years, I've kind of gotten locked into buying the upgrades every year. But getting into it can be a bit expensive.

I know Darren uses Reaper. I was thinking of downloading it and see what it's like, just for kicks. In actuality, they all probably do a pretty good job of letting you lay down a few tracks and play them back.

It's really a question of all the other stuff (vst plugins and such) that get bundled with them that allow you to add effects, synths, play with midi, pitch shift, etc...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I kinda wish I had tried out Brent's Cakewalk while I was out there for BW. That whole weekend was a blur ( or maybe it was all of the barley pop ). I'll try to spend some time testing out CuBase again and report back.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I too, started with Audacity, soon switched to Adobe Audition and have been completely satisfied with it's offerings...Not sure of some of the others but AA allows video & audio editing which was a bonus for this user.

One thing they all have in common is that dreadful learning curve, but a little persistence & patience pays off quickly enough. Best of fun with which ever D.A.W. you choose.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Thanks Darren and Brent. I'm trying to avoid making mistakes setting this up so your insight is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    ....One thing they all have in common is that dreadful learning curve....
    Yet another one to look at. I don't have that many learning curves left in me Ken, so these are going to be looked at carefully.

Music - DAW Software

If I were to choose one to learn, I think I'd bite the bullet and buy Pro Tools. It's pretty much the industry standard almond the pros. But it's not inexpensive.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    ............I don't have that many learning curves left in me Ken, so these are going to be looked at carefully.
    LOL, I hear you Ted, remember most daw's are basically the same other than lay-out,terminology & added bells & whistles Once your familiar with the ins & outs of one, figuring others will only be half as mind-numbingly confusing . There seems to be plenty of folks around here to help thru any of the beginning stumbling blocks as well as advanced techniques. Besides that, some of us may be looking forward to collaborating on a tune or two

Here's a little terminology page I've found helpful during some of my head-scratching moments...

and Here's a short vid on choosing a DAW...

hope this helps somewhat ....feet first screaming Geronimo!!!!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Ken....thanks so much! Those are great links and the Lynda vid was really helpful. I've been looking at the Adobe CC offerings and I like the Adobe products I've used (Photoshop and Illustrator). The video editing option with Audition is tempting.

There are some Reaper tutorials here if you want to get some overviews of it.

BTW...The Adobe CS2 Suite (which includes Audition) is available for free too
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitl...=cs2_downloads
    Darren