Thread: More Chisel Drawer Storage

More Chisel Drawer Storage

I try to manage my workflow but, sooner or later I end up with something in the clamps -and- in a spot that is right in the middle of anything else I happen to want to do. I have been known to move such glue-ups into the house but, I'm trying to get a little more civilized . So, finding myself at a stand still on the current project, I look around for something that I can do.

My chisels have been longing for a home on the inside of the door to my plane till. Since I haven't built a plane till yet, there is no door to hang on the inside of. Therefor; chisel drawer. The chisel drawer has been through a few morphings and this is just the latest. A trip to the scrap bin and some thin ply from the back of a salvaged TV stand yields a sliding tray which increases the holding power of the chisel drawer by six . . . I gotta get around to that plane till/tool chest .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chisel Drawer Sliding Tray (1).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	80141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chisel Drawer Sliding Tray (2).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	80142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chisel Drawer Sliding Tray (3).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	80143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chisel Drawer Sliding Tray (4).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	80144
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Looks great, Glenn. Glad to see I'm not the only person who saves old TV stand plywood.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I like that idea Glenn. Mine stick on a magnetic bar above one of my work benches. I sometimes nick the edges when taking them down or putting them back up. I try to keep the plastic tips on the chisels but usually end up misplacing one or two. Of I move some stuff around I can free up a drawer. Thanks for the tip

How do you like the Marples ? I find that they take an good edge but dull fairly quickly.

I've heard good things about Narex chisels and have been thinking about buying a few to try
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I like that idea Glenn. Mine stick on a magnetic bar above one of my work benches. I sometimes nick the edges when taking them down or putting them back up. I try to keep the plastic tips on the chisels but usually end up misplacing one or two. Of I move some stuff around I can free up a drawer. Thanks for the tip

How do you like the Marples ? I find that they take an good edge but dull fairly quickly.

I've heard good things about Narex chisels and have been thinking about buying a few to try
    Those Marples are about 9 years old (except the 1/8" which is an Irwin) and seem to do OK. You are right about them needing frequent touch-ups if I am doing mallet work, not so much for hand work. I have a Worksharp that I just set on the end of the bench if I am going to be doing any serious chisel work. That way I can retouch the edge is a couple seconds and go right back to work. The Lee Valley hold an edge a bit better and the PM-V11's really hang in there.

P.s. I used to use a magnet bar in the drawer instead of dividers but, switched to the dividers for the reasons you mention ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-03-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

So you're the guy that keeps stealing the plastic tips for my chisels. I was wondering where they would turn up. Really I think my shop is like a dryer that loses socks, but tools instead.

The drawers look good.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

ok glenn you thought you slipped it by but you didnt the top drawer with the brown handled chisels shows thay even you make miscuts you got a grove and nothing in it

glad i am not alone..nice use of space..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ok glenn you thought you slipped it by but you didnt the top drawer with the brown handled chisels shows thay even you make miscuts you got a grove and nothing in it
    That is ABSOLUTELY what that is; a mistake. I ran one of the sides through with the wrong side against the fence while cutting the bottom groove. I decided to do it to the other side as well so they would serve as a reminder to me every time I reached for a chisel. Even when we are making quickie fixtures out of scrap, we still need to be diligent
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Nice setup, certainly better than rolling around loose (like I have.. sigh)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    My experience with them has been pretty good - the tip on a couple was a bit prone to chipping until I ground the first ~1/8" inch off. The smaller mortise chisels especially had that problem but once I got past the initial break in they've behaved quite well. I use a couple of the smaller bevel edge chisels as straight carving chisels and they hone up quite nice enough for that. I don't expect that they compare to the PM-V11 though