Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flowerform goblets

Flowerform goblets

Apologies for the horrid lighting, I may try again later with a work light.

Anyway trying a few new things here so we'll see where this goes. The goblet on the left was the "prototype" (loml actually likes it better which I suppose good as its the one we're keeping). The one on the right is a much belated wedding gift (wedding was in October) for a friend that is made from some walnut I cut from his property.

The symbolism of the bulb type flower (spring, new beginnings) and the interlocked rings is perhaps overdone but were things I wanted to try anyway

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1669.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	80145

Name:	IMG_1670.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	80146

Personal criticisms:
    • The base on the walnut one is a bit small for the flower/bowl size.
    • Rings and stems could be thinner/lighter, especially the stem on the walnut piece.
    • More an observation, but the detailing on the base of the lighter colored one was a total waste of time and just made it painful to sand/finish.

C&C welcome.

Beautiful Ryan, those are keepers Well done.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Very nice, Ryan. I agree with your self-critique...I suspect the next one(s) will be even nicer.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

It looks like a lot of work has gone into both of them. Your critique is more a list of things to watch out for the next time around because the two pieces are very well done. I like the tulip theme and am sure the wedding gift will be appreciated and treasured.

Managed to get a picture that looks a smidge less like it was taken with a potato. I need some better lights and maybe setup some place to use them! Its so much easier in the summer when there is sunlight you can use!

Name:	IMG_1688.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	80151

Vaughn, the next rendition was an egregious offense against style, design, planning and execution. I still like the idea I had though so I'm rolling with it. Will follow up in a week or so once I get a couple of follow on pieces done (and just for giggles I'll throw in the "what were you thinking" version, or maybe versions if it keeps working out as well as it has...) - I'm adding leaves (err attempting to add leaves ok there are leaves on the next one .. umm wow leaves!) which is turning (turning! hah) out much harder than I'd anticipated.

Ted, thanks for the kind thought. I figure critiques should be areas to improve or parts to stop messing with (and there's a bit of both here I think). I can't quite see how far away the curve of the earth is from this point, so I need to keep walking.

Both are very nice. Are they functional as well as pretty? (i.e. Can you drink from them?)

I can't imagine how you made interlocking captive rings. Single or multiple captive rings, okay, but not interlocking. Can you share your secret, or give us a reference?
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Well done Ryan...looks like a great learning experience!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Those are great
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    Both are very nice. Are they functional as well as pretty? (i.e. Can you drink from them?)

I can't imagine how you made interlocking captive rings. Single or multiple captive rings, okay, but not interlocking. Can you share your secret, or give us a reference?
    The not walnut (it's wood from another friend who told me the species which I recall being done sort of nut but can't remember exactly) is theoretically functional in shape at least. Although it seems that the rings would be at best annoying in use. It's finished with shellac, so no alcohol anyway. The walnut is finished with walnut oil topped with three coats of wtf and two of paste wax (ran out of wtf or would have just gone to 5-6 of that which IMHO would have looked better). Because of the pointy top I would class it as nonfunctional, you could leave the top smooth and just carve the sides I suppose but that didn't have near as much depth.

The rings are actually pretty simple, I was doing them with just a skew which is tedious and not for the unsteady of hand. Last Saturday I had to much coffee so I ground as couple of undercutting tools out of some old allen wrenches which made it a whole lot easier (turn a bead, then undercut the sides).

As for linking them if you take a break to think about it, I'm sure it will quickly come to you and stick like glue once you figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    As for linking them if you take a break to think about it, I'm sure it will quickly come to you and stick like glue once you figure it out
    I figured that would be cheating, so I was looking for a more honest way. I think cheating looks really good.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com