Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: i Carver Noise... anyone have similar noises from their machine?

i Carver Noise... anyone have similar noises from their machine?

I bought a new iCarver 915-X in November and after considerable time getting familiar with Artcam software, trying to determine appropriate cutters, feeds, and speeds, and coming up with decent clamping methods, I think I'm about ready to start throwing chips. I've now started cutting but there are noises from the machine that really bother me and I'm afraid I'm just hearing a failure in the making. I'm hoping that others here are familiar with my iCarver or maybe even a different but similar brand and can provide some input on these noises... comforting or not, I really don't know how much I should worry about this.

I took a video that shows a couple of toy cars sitting under the spindle. This gives a pretty good idea about the path of the program and maybe some indication of what's going on when the noises occur. I believe the noises are related to pulsing of the stepper motors and related changes in speed and direction, but to me, they sure seem awfully loud. There;s also some vibration associated with the noises, but that's difficult to impossible to see in the video.

Any input will be appreciated... here's a link to the video:

http://s590.photobucket.com/user/gan...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Last edited by Gary Nelson; 01-03-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typos

I cant watch the video right now do to slow internet speed but Stepper motors do make a lot of noise kind of a high pitched whining noise
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Thanks for the quick input Jay. It's actually not the whining that bothers me... more the chatter and almost grinding noises. I think it's related to the pulsing of the stepper motors, but the noises is just too loud for me to believe it's normal. If you look at the video later I hope you'll get the idea. I appreciate the help.

Don't know a thing about them, but agree them noises seem to be the type you hear just before it all goes bad.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Oh no!! Well, I guess I did say "comforting or not".

This one does not sound anything like yours http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcxdWp0HNbo
    Stupid hurts.

Stupid hurts.

Yeah, both of those are vey quiet compared to mine, but they're really just doing a straight cut. In all fairness to the machine, in my case I'm cutting various profiles including circles and radii that cause the stepper motors to stop and change directions even. I just don't know how much noise really to expect from those actions, or how much resonance there might be associated with the changes. I guess that just comes form me not being at all familiar with these machines, at least not the cheap ones for woodworking. I retired from a manufacturing plant with plenty of CNC machines, but the quality was way superior to these small ones. If I'd heard these noises wham I was looking at the machine, I'm sure I would have walked away from it. Now I really just want to know how much sleep to lose over it.

Isn't it covered ny Warranty? I would return it if it were me
    Does not sound normal
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Well it hopefully won't come to that because I do like the machine... just don't trust the noise.