Say hello to my little friend....

Jason Beam

.023" slitting router bit... for cutting fret slots in guitar fretboards ...

TEENY...

Wonder how long it'll last. I'll be using it in the CNC so hopefully that level of control gives me more than a few slots!

SDC12834.jpg

What's the advantage to using the router bit instead of a saw? Is it strictly to be able to do it with CNC?

What's the advantage to using the router bit instead of a saw? Is it strictly to be able to do it with CNC?

That's a good question. My reasoning is to use the CNC for accuracy. I'm skeptical this bit will hold up, though. If it doesn't, I am brainstorming a slitting saw rig instead -- but i wanted to give the bits a test to see if my concerns were really needed. I'm not sure how many slots this thing will cut before it snaps ... we'll see!

I kinda want it to fail badly because i'm geekin' about this slitting saw rig I've been contemplating :D

That's a good question. My reasoning is to use the CNC for accuracy. I'm skeptical this bit will hold up, though. If it doesn't, I am brainstorming a slitting saw rig instead -- but i wanted to give the bits a test to see if my concerns were really needed. I'm not sure how many slots this thing will cut before it snaps ... we'll see!

I kinda want it to fail badly because i'm geekin' about this slitting saw rig I've been contemplating :D

Can you use the CNC to make a super accurate jig? ;)

That is a fragile looking end mill, especially with the long flute length. Assuming it's made of HSS, using the appropriate SFPM & recommended feed rate will be critical, as well as the DOC. Be careful with that baby. Suggest a trial cut(s) to work out the best operating parameters.