Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangers of dogwalking

Dangers of dogwalking

Wednesday morning I went out and bought a takeout breakfast and later walked the dog. As we came back up our street, I saw a man with a small dog walking towards us. Pepper snarled and barked and pulled towards the dog, as she does even though she only wants to play. I had taken her off the sidewalk and onto the street, but the street was icy, and Pepper pulled me into the swale beside the street, where I fell heavily on my left arm, compressing my ribs. I got up easily enough, but needed a hand to get out of the swale. I know the man and his dog slightly, so we wished each other a happy new year and continued on our ways. My side didn't hurt too much at first, but became quite painful, and I thought I may have cracked a rib or two. I went to the hospital Friday. they did X-rays and an ultrasound to see how bad the damage is. Although I didn't break any ribs, I did some minor bruising to my organs and the bottom of the left lung. The doctor says it will get better with time, and to make sure that I breathe deeply, stay a little active, and go back to hospital if I have any breathing or bleeding issues. He says it will take 3 to 4 weeks to heal. He prescribed some painkillers. I've been through this sort of thing before, so I know that in a few weeks this will all be a memory. Until then, I just have to live with it.

I still love my dog.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Geeze, maybe scooping kitty litter isn't so bad after all. Sorry for your misfortune Roger. I hope you heal quickly.

Roger you really slid right into that one. Slide back out real fast so you can go back to normal!!!

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Dang...glad it wasn't worse. Heal up soon.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ouch!

There are few things more painful than bruised/cracked ribs and I can't figure the organ bruising helps any either. Until then try not to watch any comedies or cough!

For something more fun on a quasi related note, walkin the dog:

Dang gone Roger. Hope you heal quickly and as painless as possible.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Being moderately uneducated and from the lower, lower 48, a swale?? Glad you're in one piece!!! Have some easy breathing stuff you can do to insure success in recovery!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Being moderately uneducated and from the lower, lower 48, a swale?? Glad you're in one piece!!! Have some easy breathing stuff you can do to insure success in recovery!
    A swale is a shallow ditch with sides that slope at about 45, usually has grass growing in it, and runs down the side of the street. It's purpose is to collect rainwater off the street that then soaks into the ground and doesn't fill up the sewage system. It works well keeping the sewage drains for sewage. I am only in semi-major pain at the moment. I'm staying home from church tomorrow; can't have those old ladies makin' a fuss o' me.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I hope your heal quickly Roger. I've done the same thing before, and it is painful. The falling part not the swale part. Mine was on the gym floor at school.

Heal quick. Breathe deep but take it slow for awhile.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke