drawer rail repair?

larry merlau

if you had a rail between two drawers that got damaged, how would you repair it? its glued to the dust divider so we cant take it out completely..

pictures or sketches of your jig or method would be great???

yes i got a messed up rail from a mishap..

Damaged how? Do you need to replace wood or repair wood? How much? And when the drawers are closed, how visible is the rail, or how critical is the repair? And how much ego is in this? All important questions, and pix from your end would be helpful.

Agree that a little more info is needed. Scratched, cracked, gouged? How is the dust panel held in? If you cut the rail at each end where it meets the stile could you remove the whole panel, cut the rail free, make new one and pocket-hole in place?

well you folks are like interagators:) this rail was planed to much in the center and when fitting the frnts it showed up, hadnt realized it till then. you close the drawer and the frnt sticks out in the middle by approx a 1/16th to a 3/32cd its just one that i have found doing that.. the dust panel is in a dado and would require major reassembly.. would be nice if i could just unscrew and pull out and repostion but that isnt the case but will make note on the next round if do any more of these rascals.. i can see where carol mentions ego here i dont like aything that is wrong but maybe i need to let go and look the other way on this..

Agree that a little more info is needed. Scratched, cracked, gouged? How is the dust panel held in? If you cut the rail at each end where it meets the stile could you remove the whole panel, cut the rail free, make new one and pocket-hole in place?

Also, how is the rail attached to the stile? Is it inset, dovetailed, butt-joined, or what? If butted, is it dowelled, mortised, pocket-screwed?

Without seeing it - or the degree of damage - I might think about using a sawblade on a Fein (or other) multi tool to cut the rail free from the dust panel so it could be replaced.

If you replace the rail, can you match the finish to the original? (Or will you need Dave? :D )

you close the drawer and the frnt sticks out in the middle by approx a 1/16th to a 3/32cd its just one that i have found doing that

If the grain is cooperative, . . . block plane, If it is reversing or questionable, . . . cabinet scraper. When something is visually "out" or just doesn't look right to me it is more important that it "look" right than that it is "perfect". I have eased an edge in an area more than the rest of the same edge for appearances sake. I have "split the difference" on door gaps when the "correct" gap didn't look right. Although you may not get it perfect, you can scrape the offending area back a bit to make it less visually obvious. As is often the case, no one else will even notice but, you will be more satisfied with the piece :thumb:

well this isnt finished yet, so dave wont be needed jim:) but i was thinking of taking it down a 1/8" and then reglueing a strip back in.. i could router off the face to the depth and trim up with chisel then cut new strip and clamp and glue.. i havnt shown my consultant is yet but will to get there opinion..

well this isnt finished yet, so dave wont be needed jim:) but i was thinking of taking it down a 1/8" and then reglueing a strip back in.. i could router off the face to the depth and trim up with chisel then cut new strip and clamp and glue.. i havnt shown my consultant is yet but will to get there opinion..

I think your solution is the way I would go.