Home made I-socket?

Ninh Shepherd

Hi I'm new to forums so be nice. And I'm not even sure that this will even get posted to the right page so if not please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong area and redirect me to the correct area.
Ok so what I have a question on is the "I-socket" the vacuum actuated tool that turns on your vacuum when it detects a tool being turned on. Here's a link
http://youtu.be/NuaO0qctOEk

My questions is can you make one if these easily enough ? It would it be better just to spend the 35$ to buy one I'm just getting back into wood working and I'm a huge tight wad when it comes to spending money on things (thanks to the Mrs. :( ...) so if I can make this is there any designs out there I've found a few but but they don't seem like what I'm looking for. Please help and thanks for your time
Ninja

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Nihn !!!!!!

We are always nice here :)

I'm a tightwad myself so I personally wouldn't spend the $$ for the device although I'd love to have one. I bought a remote from Walmart for about $15.00 and just carry it with me to turn on my DC. I have to move hoses around to different machines so the automatic one wouldn't be a real saver for me.

I'm sure you'll get some great ideas form other members though.

You might do a google for "Current Activated Switch Schematics" and you'll see some results, though many won't have a timer function.

Here is an example of one.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Current_activated_switch

Another option may be to just wire a switch to power an outlet at the workstation that is more convenient to flip on/off than reaching down/up for the vacuums switch.

Do you happen to know the name brand of the switch or maybe a link!!? I've thought about doing the "remote vac" just haven't committed yet but last night I literally required ALL of my tools miter,band,table,router and my drill press all to one single socket. (Getting prepared for my homemade/purchased I-socket) because I never run more than one tool at a time I will not trip the breaker and it will utilize the I socket that much more.

Helpful note Bob with the hose. And transferring the vac from machine to machine. I had a friend give me about 30-50 foot of "pool hose" yes it's stiff and blue haha but if you run it via ceiling it's out of the way and it was free!! Plus the diameter of the hoes is 2.4 o.d and 1.95 i.d so it's perfect for a variety of connectors !!!
2atygyha.jpg

First of all, WELCOME!

I can be pretty frugal myself but, I value my time. My formula doesn't work for everyone but, it works or me since I only get so much shop time . . . Shop time minus time spent acquiring parts and performing assembly of something I can get for $25 to $35 equals wasted time. Even if you only paid yourself $5 an hour I don't see this working out unless you just really like to work on stuff like this; some people do and that's great! I have a couple of i-Sockets that I picked up when on sale. Others have stated years of success when using these: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-auto-switch/p-00924031000P which happen to be on sale right now for $17. With free in-store pickup that makes it really hard to build your own. If triggering off the tool is not important and you don't mind carrying a fob, the remote controlled outlets for Christmas lights go on sale after Christmas all the time for $5 to $15 at my Lowes and Home Depots. Last year I picked up three that each ran on a different channel for $5 each. I've been running my ceiling mounted ambient air cleaner off of one for years that I got at an after Christmas sale at a department store. The important thing is to check the amperage that the outlet part can handle. As long as it is equal to or more than what you plan to run, you're good :thumb:

Last edited:
Ah I didn't think of that!!!! But again I am a cheap-o but I do believe in your formula I learned this the hard way with the pocket hole jig. Although I did make one successfully, the time it took to make one and then the money it cost for the bits 18$ and the 6" long sqr head bit 12$ and price of screws. I could have went and bought one for 40$ but I am very proud if my pocket hole jig
3e8y5uty.jpg
tyruhyny.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/
14/01/06/yzy9u8ah.jpg
So I do believe it will be better for me to just go and buy one!! Thanks for all the helpful friendly info!!!!:) I believe this is a start to very helpful friendship thanks guys!!
Ninja

Before spending money for connections on the pool hose, hook it up and make sure it doesn't have a loud whistle to it. I tried using some sump pump hose once and it made an ear piercing noise when I turned the vacuum on. ;)