Rocking chair

Bryan Cowing

I'm using up a lot of shop scraps , and some donated lumber. Chair is going to a member of our woodworkers coffee night meetings. I was given enough 8/4 cherry to make the legs, using 3/4" walnut glued in the middle to make 2.5" turning blanks. The idea was to build a chair from donations of odds and ends and left over boards from previous projects
in members shops. I did get some wood from one other member and I supplied the rest.
Some pics of the build.

IMG_6836.JPGIMG_6838.JPGIMG_6864.JPGIMG_7003.JPGIMG_6860.JPGIMG_7005.JPGIMG_7007.JPGIMG_7013.JPGIMG_7022.JPGIMG_7028.JPG

Hush, Jim. The slope starts gently and will escalate greatly as time wears on. Besides, the man is a toolaholic. We won't egg him on, just cheer when the slide ends. :rofl:

bryan in pic 2 is it my eyes or is there light colored wood showing on the edges of the back top & bottom apron?
curved backrests are 1/4" layers of oak and walnut. Built out to 1" thick and tapered to fit a 3/4" mortise in the legs. A lot of laminated wood in the chair. The rockers are walnut oak and 1 strip of maple on the bottom. Laminating lets you use up wood destined for the wood stove.

bryan your putting me one step closer to those spinny things with this chair..

Nay! my eyes wont' see that!:D

Great job with that rocker Bryan, making a piece of furniture with curved parts either laminated or stem bent is on my "to do " list, looking at your post has made it jump some steps ahead.
Thanks.