A good night, new ear and eye candy

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Well mostly a good night, came home to a bunch of towels on my kitchen floor, seems the solenoid valve on the dishwasher expanded and cracked overnight...Luckily my daughter noticed it and started putting towels down.
2014-01-07 18.47.23.jpg

Shut the line off and am having a new valve over-nighted for $3 extra, found the spot cold air was blowing in and sealed it.

On the bright side, this new beauty showed up via UPS...
2014-01-07 18.33.18.jpg 2014-01-07 20.12.02.jpg 2014-01-07 20.50.43.jpg 2014-01-07 21.20.34.jpg 2014-01-07 21.44.06.jpg

She's an Oscar Schmidt LP copy, made by Washburn guitars (via China). Has a curly maple top, mahogany body, mahogany neck, rosewood fret board. I was looking at buying a diy kit and building one, but found this one for $200 on amazon. Had good reviews by most sites and on amazon. I used to have a Les Paul copy. I sold it many years ago and always regretted it, love the tone of them.

A little sample playing straight, no effects, into reaper...
https://soundcloud.com/buzzkc/oscar-schmidt-lp-test

I think I got the last one at that price, it's now $208 and 3 weeks out for shipping now:
http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Schmidt.../ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:
Wow! for 199$, that's a great looking and very clean sounding axe.

You know I'm going to get myself in trouble, don't you?

Oh boy. I hope that water didn't mess with your floors. That's a sweet looking and sounding guitar. My instructor plays a Les Paul and he really makes that thing sing.

Soooo tempting. I'd have to spend about another $80 or so to get a good case for it, though. Nonetheless, I can't be spending money on one right now. Other priorities loom. But I do miss my Les Paul. (Had a 1967 LP Custom - Black Beauty - stolen after a gig years ago. Lost an ES-335 that night, too.)

Looks like a real pretty guitar, though. How do you like the fit and finish? I know I've been real happy with my $200 Oscar Schmidt copy of an ES-335. Especially after putting another $100 or so into new electronics.

You know I'm going to get myself in trouble, don't you?

Oh yeah, I know how you can't resist an Amazon link. :D

Oh boy. I hope that water didn't mess with your floors. That's a sweet looking and sounding guitar. My instructor plays a Les Paul and he really makes that thing sing.

Thanks, The floors should be fine, but have it on the list to replace, may just get done sooner rather than later now. Have had a fan running all night. I wedged up the edges to help get some air under them too.

Looks like a real pretty guitar, though. How do you like the fit and finish? I know I've been real happy with my $200 Oscar Schmidt copy of an ES-335. Especially after putting another $100 or so into new electronics.

I like the fit and finish are great. I wondered if the front was a faux finish, but pulled the knob cover on the back and could see the curls in the wood there. It's comfortable to play, but do need to get a strap and some strap locks for it. Any recommendations there?

Wait. I just noticed that's not a bolt-on neck. Now I REALLY want one. :rolleyes:

I'd probably splurge the extra $60 to get this color, though:

http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Schmidt-OE20FTPB-6-String-Solid-Body/dp/B008FLSLSY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_4

Atta boy! And that color is sooooooo you!

As far as straps and strap locks go, I've got the dunlops on all my stuff. My strap I actually found when I was a freshman in college. Nothing special, just a nice heavy duty plain looking leather one.

As far as straps and strap locks go, I've got the dunlops on all my stuff. My strap I actually found when I was a freshman in college. Nothing special, just a nice heavy duty plain looking leather one.

So you only own one strap? Knowing you Brent, I was expecting you to have a plastic bin full of them. :D

i think that the next family gatherun is gonna be a jam fest,, we got a whole orchestra in group now.. darren didnt show any signs of being a hippy like vaugh at burning woods:) b ut apparently he was:)