gilding

I have 3 mirror frames in the shop 2 of them are water gilded one of Them is oil gilded. if anybody wants to talk technique give me a call 301 948 6652 I'm in the shop all day .

water gilding, materials; rabbit skin glue, gesso coats 3-4, clay for the bowl coats 5-6 , the liquor whis is 10% rabbit skin glue 10% DNA and distilled water.

1st the gesso warmed up with a 20% rabbit skin glue mixture ; keep warn while applying and very light sand between coats

2nd the bowl / clay coats. you can buy pre mixed or clay powder and mix your own. I use 30% rabbit skin glue mixture and keep warm while applying. apply by brushing into your brush strokes. light burnishing when dry with a 3M white or purple pad. This process takes 5-6 coats. after the finial coat the bowl needs to be burnished to a matt finish { baby butt smooth}
3rd process ins taking the liquor and a soft brissal brush and apply to an area about 3x9 the bowl will become very wet looking and take the 23.5 ct gold leaf to lay in to the wet area. You want a very wet lay :) so the rabbit skin glue is activated and sucks the leaf down like a vacuum table. I will do one side a frame then before the surface hardens I will use a aget burnisher to rub the leaf to a chrome like shine.

One frame can take about a month to get done. It's slow but well wroth the time to get a beautiful product.