Thread: Older Craftsman TS fence upgrade question...

Question Older Craftsman TS fence upgrade question...

Hi folks!
    I had about an hour to kill this afternoon while my son was having his teeth cleaned. It just so happens that his dentist is less than a mile from a Woodcraft store.
    I went down and wandered around for a bit. I stood there fondling a really nice Laguna 10" 1-3/4 hp cabinet saw. I'd LOVE to have it, but I don't have $1300. While I was looking at it, a guy came up and said "beautiful piece of equipment eh?". I said heck yeah! We talked a bit and I told him that I'm currently using a 30 year old Craftsman saw that I just replaced the motor on. It's a contractor saw that works fine, but I hate the fence on it. I'd like to have more capacity and one that is easier to square. He suggested buying an aftermarket fence and putting it on. I never really thought about it. If that would work, I'd be glad to spend a few hundred on a new fence system and continue to use the saw. In fact, it that worked, I'd probably build myself a cabinet for it that I could enclose it and make it easier for dust collection.

I got home and did a little Googling, and found a Vega U26. It's about $325 on Amazon. Anyone ever try this? If so, how did it work and would you do it again?

Thanks for any input!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

One word: Incra. Nothing compares, in my opinion.

I have an Incra system on my Ridgid contractor saw, and if I ever upgrade to a cabinet saw, the Incra is going on it (or I'll buy a new Incra.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn.

Whenever I think of fence, the first thing I think of is Incra. I didn't know if they made one that would work on my 30 year old Craftsman. If so, I'll look into it. If I could get one installed and working, I think I'd like to take the saw off of the leg base and make a cabinet base for it with storage, wheels, DC capability, and an out feed table. We'll see what I can find. I just spent a hundred bucks to replace the original 1hp motor with a HF 1.5 hp and it works great. The only thing I don't like about this saw is the fence.

I'll check Incra!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

John, you'd need to install the Incra rails to mount the fence on, but I think they can be fitted to just about any saw.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

FWIW I put a Delta T2 on my old Craftsman for >$200.00 an really enjoy using it. Took about an hour or so to install. Smooth, easy adjustment and straight as can be.

John once these Delta fences are back in stock, I plan on getting one to put on my Craftsman contractor saw. Pretty sure that's where Roger got his...or at least a couple from the forum have in the past.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website