NEED Cherry

Leo Voisine

I need about 140 bd-ft of Cherry to remodel my kitchen.

I do have some local hardwood dealers, but I was wondering if there was any benefit to online, or mail order shopping.

There will be a huge delivery charge, but maybe if I can get a good price to start with - that will offset the delivery charge.

So - has anyone ever ordered wood this way.

4-6 widths - random lengths - 4/4 thick - rough sawn

last time I purchased cherry from a dealer, rosensweig lumber in the Bronx NY(one of two hardwood dealers left here, and they are pretty big)
it was 4.66 a bf for slightly planed/pre planed 4/4 cherry. I like my lumber preplaned, so I can pick which I like and see the grains.
I would suggest purchasing it on site, so you can pick your own. top of the pile pick might not get you the best boards, and that's usually how lumber yards pick.
140 bf is not a lot, usually they start offering small discounts for 100, but over 200, 300 bf is where most guys start discounting.
I don't see any benefit ordering online, shipping is high, you don't pick what you want.

i have plenty of wood but agree with allen go to the yard and pick your own,, the term for preplaned is called skip planed its just getting it close so one can see the figure.. usually the dimension will be 15/16th's if you figure your gas and time to get ther you will be ahead compared to shipping costs, unless you have bought from them before then you can ask for a select sort which give you what you ask for.

I have had very good luck with Wall Lumber www.walllumber.com - they currently have 100 board foot bundles of Cherry on sale for $395 (although I would probably buy the 15/16" skip planed for $425.). Note the lengths are only 6 feet, not the usual 8 foot required for top grade lumber.

If you call them, they can estimate the freight charges for you - they get a huge discount over what you or I would pay if we contracted directly. If you pick up at the local freight terminal (usually within one day or two of when they call you, open 24 hours), you save a lot. I figure about $1 per board foot for shipping; less for larger orders.

I would consider these numbers then visit your local lumber yard.

I've ordered from wall before. Great service, great people. I picked up at the terminal. I ordered plywood from them a couple of times. It was actually cheaper for me to order from them and have it shipped than I could find it local. Now that's crazy!

You should be able to find a a good source reasonable. Unless you know a lot about them I would go and personally pick out what I wanted. I would also get skipped planed but than kind of depends on what you have for equipment.