Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music - Guitar Tab Software

Music - Guitar Tab Software

Anybody have a recommendation for guitar tablature software? I'm looking at Guitar Pro 6, but reviews are mixed. TablEdit also looks promising, but reviews on it are mixed too.

Are you looking for tabs for songs or just chord shapes Ted?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I picked up Guitar pro 6, just because it was so ubiquitous. It works, but all I do is download files and load it up and use.

I just got Rocksmith 2014 (Darren did too), and I have to admit it's kind of fun so far. You get a special USB cable, and the game can actually determine what you are playing.

The only thing that bugs me is the default mode for it has the low e at the top, but you can easily invert that. It's not the same as normal tab, and takes a little getting used to.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I've used Tux Guitar (http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/) in the past and I actually re-installed it tonight. They have a community site that folks contribute tabs that you can load up for free. Some of the tabs actually have all tracks of a song (guitar, bass, drums, vocals, etc.), just click on the instrument below and it will display that instruments tabs. You can also print out the tabs you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuxguitar.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	80348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuxguitarprint.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	80349

Windows download:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxguitar/?source=dlp
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Are you looking for tabs for songs or just chord shapes Ted?
    Jim ...I'm looking for a program that lets you write, read and play tabs. Apparently you can also download tabs and the program will show you how they sound.
    Darren thanks. Lots of positive reviews on Tux.
    Brent...Guitar Pro 6 lets you hear what the tabs are supposed to sound like, right?
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 01-11-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Brent...Guitar Pro 6 lets you hear what the tabs are supposed to sound like, right?
    It does. It plays a not so you can hear what you should be playing like. It's midi, so it's not perfect, but you can get the idea.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

I'm no help...I've not tried any of the tab software packages. Looks like pretty cool stuff, if it works.

Back in my day, we had to learn songs by ear and write them all out by hand. Uphill. In the snow. And we LIKED it!

Dang kids. Now get off my lawn!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Back in my day, we had to learn songs by ear and write them all out by hand. Uphill. In the snow. And we LIKED it!

Dang kids. Now get off my lawn!
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    .... we had to learn songs by ear and write them all out by hand. Uphill. In the snow. And we LIKED it! ....
    Funny you should mention that. Thus far, my guitar lessons at Music & Arts have consisted of the instructor writing out some lick or scale on a piece of yellow legal pad and me trying to play it for half an hour. Wondering what else was out there (and for the same price as I pay for just one month of lessons at M&A), I signed up for a year of access to JamPlay when they had a holiday special. Lots of instructors and the quality of the instruction is very good. There is enough of a mix of theory and practice to keep interest peaked, you can proceed at your own pace and most importantly for me, can loop any portion of the lesson until you get it right. There are also live video chat sessions with the instructors. At yesterdays M&A lesson I mentioned how much I liked the JamPlay format and was fishing for some theory along with the lesson. My instructor got a strange look in his eye and said "theory? You want some theory? I can fix you up with some theory. Lets start with C major". So in less than 5 minutes, off the top of his head while I was practicing a blues lick he wrote out this complete reference guide to the chords in C major. I was pretty blown away. He's in his fifties and has been playing since he was eight. Can you guys do that, or should I not be impressed?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chords 004.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	80356

That is pretty impressive to me, Not sure how to read it, but impressive!