Freud FT 1700 router

Dave Trask

Good Morning All !

I’m looking for a good in table router.
One that I have in mind is the Freud 2-1/4 HP Electronic Variable Speed Router Model: FT1700VCEK. Lowe’s has the router at 15% off until the 11th.
I am attracted by the “as advertised” above the table bit changes and height adjustment.
Most of the reviews for this router are good. One complaint was the amount of backlash in the height adjustment.

Anyone have one and how do you like it?

My other choice was the Milwaukee 5616-20 which appears to have a good
above table height adjustment but poor above table collect changing .

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have the Freud 1700 router and use it exclusively in a table. For my money, it works very well, providing very good above the table access.

As far as the binding issue when loose; not a big deal to me and easy enough to work around.

Go for it.

I have the Milwaukee 5625 in a table which has the same setup as the 5616 I believe. The quality of the Milwaukee is first class. I think that the bit changing depends on the type of router plate that you have. I have the Woodpeckers that has removable rings so I just use a couple of offset wrenches----problem solved. A lot of guys just push the button, drop it out and change the bit on the tabletop. I thought that the above the table top adjustment would be really great but I have found that it is much easier and faster to adjust it from the bottom since my hand is already in there to realease the lever so I never use the above the table top feature.

I do not have a Freud but I would not hesitate to buy one if the price was right and I found one that I liked. I have three different brands and like them all. A fourth will be here tomorrow. The router market is so competitive that any major brand is going to be a good product. Most of the differences are nit picking stuff anyway, for the most part. As soon as you start useing it you forget about those things and just use it. The good news is that everyone seems to love their router whichever brand it is.

Thanks to all your input It is well appreciated !
It’s so nice having a place to go to ask these sort of questions. :D
I think I’m indeed going with the freud.

Now if I can get to Lowes before the sale ends! :eek:

Thanks again…. Dave

I have it and like it very much. Yes, there is a bit of backlash but not enough to cause much of a problem.
The above the table height adjustment and bit change is what I bought it for and I have not been disappointed.
Additionally, when running at less than max. speed, it is very quiet (all my others are quite loud). There is no vibration at any speed.
All-in-all, recognizing there is no "Perfect" machine, I can recommend it without reservation.
The Freud is as near as it gets.

Got the Router! ….Nice! :D

I did have the backlash problem. I stretched the spring behind the quick
release height adjustment button and put a loose spacer in the hollow part
of the button to keep it from tripping so easily, but yet it still trips if there is
excessive torque. This took care of the problem. :thumb:

I am impressed with how smooth and quiet this router is!

Now, if my dang router table insert I ordered would show up!

Last edited: